Tube rolling newbie- how to choose NOS tubes

I’ve purchased a xDuoo TA-30 dac/amp for my first tube rolling experience. From online reviews, I plan to tube roll in a Matched Pair of Mullard 12AU7.

Looking online, there are new reissued Mullard 12AU7, matching NOS tubes at various price points, years, features (like long plates?), and used tubes like on eBay.. This is confusing, how do I choose? Should the tubes be tested? Who should I purchase from?

kennyc

For start learn your dac/amp with factory supplied tubes.

Most likely reissued Mullard are rebranded ones like the ones you already have.

For true NOS tubes or ones in good shape better trust a good vendor, who can do the testing and supply what you are looking for.

Buying blind from ebay without knowing what to search before having established a good knowledge about this particular tube or tubes may prove very expensive.

Here is some previous discussions on Agon about this tube.

Good hunting.

Google Brent Jessee or Vintage Tube Services. Both are respected tube sellers who will help you find the tubes you want. They probably will not be cheap , but who knows, you may get lucky. Buying tubes from these guys is not cheap but it is cheaper than learning about NOS tubes by trial and error.  Brent will usually get the tubes to you faster than Andy (VTS).

As petg60 has recommended, get familiar with the sound of your DAC/amp with the stock tubes in it and have an idea of how you would like to change that sound with your new tubes before calling the tube sellers..

+1 for Brent Jesse his advice is top notch and his return policy is more than fair. Basically you pay for shipping and get to try something else within 30 days no risk.

But definitely let the stock tubes break in if the DAC is new and get used to them as others have said.

Many of the reissues are mediocre, some are good for the specific application (JJ comes to mind).  

You will learn a lot and get pricing from his web site here: audiotubes.com/12au7.htm

Emailing him is best, explain what you have and what you are looking for. Don't get stuck on Mullards though (nothing against them, I have a pair in my DAC from Brent that I love but they were $450 a pair) but there are other great NOS options that might be obtained for less.

Not sure what the rest of your system is but there is a point of diminishing return to consider.