Opinion: Modern country is the worst musical genre of all time

I seriously can’t think of anything worse. I grew up listening to country music in the late 80s and early 90s, and a lot of that was pretty bad. But this new stuff, yikes.

Who sees some pretty boy on a stage with a badly exaggerated generic southern accent and a 600 dollar denim jacket shoehorning the words “ice cold beer” into every third line of a song and says “Ooh I like this, this music is for me!”

I would literally rather listen to anything else.Seriously, there’s nothing I can think of, at least not in my lifetime or the hundred or so years of recorded music I own, that seems worse.

bhagal

The music that bothers me most is the electronic mash of beats and synthesize vocals. Most of the songs like that are terrible to my ears, and they all sound the same. I know music is subjective and every generation seems to embrace music that does not appeal to their parents.

@mcondo: While the term Outlaw Country is widely used as a separate genre---and pre-dates Americana by a few decades, I view the former as part of the latter. By the way, I’ve never cared for Hank Williams Jr., but love Hank III, who sounds a LOT like his grandpa.

If there’s one current Country artist who deserves to be considered Outlaw, it is surely Steve Earle. When Shania Twain was huge (made possible by the success of the Country music Anti-Christ, the deplorable Garth Brooks), Steve characterized her as "The highest paid lap dancer in Nashville". ;-)

Who cares what Steve Earle thinks anyway?  Seems like petty envy to me.  

I admit Shania is a guilty pleasure of mine (she was produced by Mutt Lange, of AC/DC---a favorite Rock 'n' Roll band of mine---renown), but still found Steve's comment funny, and not without merit.