Kuzma Stabi R mat?

Just received my new Stabi R.  It is a very nicely built table and sounds more present and dynamic than my previous setup.  I am currently using a Etna SL on a Kuzma 4P9 on the right wing.  Initial impressions are that this is a synergistic group (cartridge/arm/table) and allows deep information retrieval. 

This is my first Kuzma table.  In the past I used various turntable mats until I settled on the sound of the Achromat.  The Kuzma looks engineered to use its own integral mat (which is cushioned) and not an aftermarket addition.  Just wondering if any other Kuzma users out there use a specific matt?  I am inclined to use no matt at all given the table surface seems designed to do just that.  I have also never had a spindle with threads for a screw down record clamp. I have the heavier HRS record weight which did nice things with my previous table in combination with the achromat.  Any one using the screw clamp with their Kuzma? 

128x128karl_desch

Hi All,

For reasons that escape me, I haven’t picked up Kuzma’s reflex clamp, but one is arriving shortly. I think it has something to do with being in "recovery" mode from handling our 6+ pound Anvil weight over a decade ago.  Scroll to the bottom of our "Museum" page for a view of that beast:

The first time I played Kuzma’s turntables (both Stabi S and R), I was surprised at how effective Franc’s choice of mat material was. It’s remarkably close to our Carbon Fiber TPI top plates on our turntables, and in all modesty, I think we set a high bar in that regard.

Clamps and weights are funny beasts, and you never know how they’ll interact with your rig. While I agree with most of Franc’s turntable build philosophy, I’m equally prepared to be pleasantly surprised as I am to be disappointed.

... Thom @ Galibier

50/50 shot at sonic satisfaction in the high end sauce of science / sorcery / soup is good work if you can secure it… ( that’s 8 ).

I have been very pleased w my CAR-40, probably should have stretched into the -50…. Etna was unobtanium a few months back…. I think at levels being discussed, it’s MUCH more about the system ( and setup ) Isolation > Power > RFI > Cables > ( TT + Cart + Arm ) > Phono Pre….. Very rarely do we see extensive two variable changes executed and evaluated ( e.g. cartridge + setup ).

Best to all in the quest, the shared quest along different roads…

Dear @tomic601 : CAR cartridges 40-50 were made by Shelter many years ago an today cartridges make a better job.

R.

I very happy with my three main low output cartridges (Lyra Etna SL, SoundSmith Hyperion, Koetsu Rosewood Sig. Platinum). I am going to demo the Car-50, because I can, not really in the market for a new cartridge.  Just having fun with the new turntable and exploring all things Kuzma.

I would also love to listen to a MSL cart in my stereo. Don’t think I’ve heard anything negative about those cartridges (other than the obvious, price).

There is some secrecy and debate about who in Japan make the cartridge sans body for Kuzma. I don’t really care as it sounds great on the Triplaner. Like the OP , i have a few cartridges, a blessing really. It also helps to have frequent listening access to all of the Lyra line as well as all the Kuzma w exception of -60. My neighbor who runs Audio Ultra 3 minutes away has both a Dohmann and Kuzma, including Safir…. how fun

One cool thing about spending a bunch of the year in So Cal….is there are many nice cartridges/ TT, etc to hear…. MSL is on my list….

Best to everyone.