"High end" store snobbery

Our county lies in a fairly remote part of the country.Our major city of 100,000 has one "high end" shop so to speak.

I visited them yesterday.The store has limited selection of decent  stuff-a few McIntosh amps.Marantz.Paradigm ,Focal,Sonus faber etc.No Wilsons or Bel Canto category.

I asked then if they take trade ins-I want to upgrade my one year old Yamaha RX4 AVR,worth $500 retail.

They said they only take high end components for trade i.e.McIntosh etc.

After that conversation, the 3 store employees pretty will ignored my presence and I continued browsing their meagre inventory.

Lo and behold!

In a corner I spotted about 30 items-old Pioneer,Yamaha amps and even an equalizer from the 1970s.Prices ranged from $75 to $500.

I asked :"what are these"

response from employee:"oh, those are items we are familiar with as they were swapped out for upgraded gear by our customers."

Thanks for tolerating my rant...

Gabe

gabor2525

used AVR's probably lose their value faster than any audio component...70's gear seems more popular than ever these days...

To be honest it has nothing to do with their vintage stuff but your trade in period. I don’t know of any smaller audio shops that primarily deal in hi end 2 channel gear that want an AVR used in their shop. AVR’s don’t sell well on the used market. I can not fault them for being honest with, you’re just being picky that they did not want your $200 used AVR. Let’s face it they are there to make money and used AVR’s don’t do that well. Specially a used $500 new product they would have to buy for a hundred bucks to make an hundred off it. They probably didn’t want to insult you with a used price so they chose not to take it in.

Your item  would maybe get a $200 trade in never trad in at a store , actually

craids list would be ideal that .depending how much you have to spend there are dealers that will ship on trial especially for dacs .

Posting under the influence again?

@gabor2525 

We have 1 and 1/2 high end stores here. The full high end store is a bit snobby, but has always showed me anything they had. The 1/2 shop sells more HT systems and has mostly high Mid Fi, but are as friendly and proud of everything they sell. It’s funny, because Twenty five years ago I bought a couple of pieces of Audio Research stuff from them.  I guess the HT systems draw more people in.  

Sigh.

You live in a college town.  Easy to sell that piece in that market and move on.  Don’t haul it around.

Portland dealers mentioned, Stereotypes Audio and Echo Audio will both provide a much richer retail experience.  Plus…NO SALES TAX!  Stick it to Darth Insley!

Plus, you can eat and drink at Lucky Labrador.  Winner winner chicken dinner.