Fantasy or reality? Inexpensive solid state preamps that get you 80% there?

Recently, I posted asking about solid state preamps in the $4k region. I got some really good suggestions. Much appreciated. I have that list saved in a folder and will consult it.

I'm still a bit shy about spending $4k. So, lately, I've found myself reading about Schiit Saga and Freya S preamps. Why? Well, the idea of a non-tube preamp still appeals to me but these are much, much less expensive. 

I'm wondering if anyone has done some comparing of Schiit's Saga and Freya solid state preamps? Have you tried either of these preamps and come to some conclusions about their sonic worth compared to other more expensive solid state preamps? Were they worth it? Were they just a waste of time for you?

In brief:

Schiit Saga S vs. Freya S?
Schiit Saga or Freya vs. more costly solid state preamps?

The ultimate reason for asking is that this is a hobby where it's easy to plunk down small amounts of money (relatively) thinking that one can get 80% of what they want only to find that there's really no free lunch. If that's the case, I'll just keep saving for something better (Pass, Ayre, etc.). If not, I might just try a Saga or Freya (or something else — Parasound used? Etc.)

128x128hilde45

I got a good deal on an SPL Elector solid state preamp. Retails close to 3k but could be found for around $1,800. In my opinion, pretty magical. Very special pre. Imaging is amazing. Holographic, balanced, clear, super detailed, really layered, just a hint warm, but not in any way that works against tuning one’s system. Tube-like in many ways. Was thinking of going the tube route at first, but absolutely no desire to do so now that I’ve got the SPL in my system. I might try a tube power amp down the line, but do not plan on changing out of this wonderful pre. Highly recommended!

budget new solid state: van alstine preamp. add a phono circuit for $370. 

budget used solid state: van alstines newest or an apt holman with the level 3 upgrades, yamaha c4 (i think its the c4. one of em is head and shoulders above the rest)...there are so mant options, but if i wanted top notch and new for a coupla thousand less, id buy the van alstine. 

If you add at least 100% to the price of a piece of Schiit gear, you'll get a better idea of what it would cost at a retail store. They make well researched, great sounding stuff and have been in the business for a long time.

Just get the Benchmark La4. You will not be sorry. And they hold their resale value very well if you decide to move on.