Discuss The Viv Lab Rigid Arm

I am trying to do my due diligence about this arm. I am just having a hard time getting my head around this idea of zero overhang and no offset. Does this arm really work the way it is reported to do?

neonknight

With diffusion panels directly behind the speaker is it possible to shorten that 5 foot distance by a small amount?

@neonknight No. But if the speakers are closer than the 5 feet having something absorptive might help with the harshness that will result.

@neonknight , My system is on a 16 foot wall. Go look at it. The speakers are just over three feet from the wall and behind them the wall is covered from floor to ceiling with 4" acoustic foam tile. This greatly attenuates frequencies above 250 Hz which alleviates the harshness atmasphere mentions. This distance keeps interference out of the midbass and I use subwoofers below 100 Hz with very steep slopes. Without subs and wall treatment Atma-Sphere is correct. 

I have been using dipole panels exclusively since 1978. They have run the gamut from Acoustats, to Magnepans, to Apogees, back to Acoustats and now Sound Labs. 

Let me know what speakers you plan on getting and we can talk about it. 16 feet is plenty.

The "bearing" of the ViV is not a "floating" one in the typical sense.

The magnetic oil film helps to prevent any bouncing from the needle to start

resonances but as you know that oil is not compressible there is no floating

at all.

The most fascinating fact of the ViV is that it teases out the very best of EVERY

cartridge me and my friends mounted on it. No matter of weight and compliance.

But for sure the people here which never had an hand on this great tonearme

are bashing it because it not pays attention to "regulations and facts" and for them

...  the earth is still flat! ;-)

But for sure the people here which never had an hand on this great tonearme are bashing it because it not pays attention to "regulations and facts" and for them... the earth is still flat! ;-)

There are some people here who enjoy making grand proclamations and pronouncements. Many take a rather odd pride in this behavior, some peppering their remarks with comments such as, "I’m not polite," "I’m not politically correct" or my favorite: "I’m brutally honest" when what they really mean is, "I enjoy being brutal." They’ll often bolster their comments by claiming certain professional qualifications. Some have established YouTube channels they promote in hopes to monetize their "expertise." One of the logic-challenged ones you’re arguing with here claims to be a physician.

What these sorts have in common, as you note, is a lack of experience. Their hubris has convinced them that their intellect can overcome that deficiency and, to an extent, they are right: Knowledge and wisdom can help you avoid mistakes that otherwise would teach you the lessons of experience. But the truth they don’t want to acknowledge is v-e-r-y simple:

There is no substitute for experience.

That’s why I’ve avoided commenting on this arm. I understand as well as anyone here its unusual geometry and the measurable distortion that can result, but I won’t discount the reports of those who’ve actually seen and heard it. Without actually correlating expectations with actual results, the Viv’s critics have added nothing of value to this conversation. But their "contributions" make them feel very important, and that feeling is what they seek. It’s why they’re here.

Post removed