Speakers for Atma Sphere M60 mk3

Hi! I'm thinking about tubes.... an Atma Sphere M60 mk3 maybe... (Its within my budget)

What kind of speakers are they able to drive to decent levels (classical, jazz)?

Today I have a pair of SF Elipsas SE. I think they could be too much for the M60.

I'm just curious, what are you using with the M60? What do you recommend?

Room is 26 x 14 ft ceiling is about 9

Thanks!

fredag

Hi, @fredag !

Sounds like you're from Sweden like me. I might miss the HEM audio show in Stockholm next week but if you live nearby and can go that might be a good time to listen to some different speakers and hear what the dealers recommend. 

I think Orangutan O/96 could be  a great pairing. Or one of the better Fyne speakers. I heard Lindström open baffle speakers driven by a tube amp and that made great sound also.

Good luck!

I drive Coincident Super Victory II speakers in a similar sized room with the M-60 and they do not break a sweat.  The most important thing with the M-60s is a high impedance speaker that presents a benign load.  My speakers are really 12 Ohm that drop down to a minimum of 8, and are 91.5 dB efficient.  I think you could easily drive a speaker that is 89-90 db efficient IF the impedance curve is favorable.   AudioKinesis speakers are built with Atma-Sphere amps in mind, so they are ideal.  But there are lot of other good choices mentioned above.  Just watch that impedance!

Save $ and get better performance-Atma-Sphere Class Ds ($5400).

More transparent, detailed wt much better bass. 
I had M-60s. The new Atma Ds beat them by a wide margin.

One of the best amps I have heard.

Ralph actually recommends the Ds over any of his tube amps. He listens to the Ds exclusively. 

A friend runs his M60s with 93db, easily loading Silverline LaFolias and they sound great together. As others have said, a friendly impedance curve is quite important. Any >90db efficiency speaker that is mostly 8ohms or close will pair well.

IMHE, the Spletz Zeros add an audible whitish haze that detracts. I think that approach is like shoe-horning size 11 feet into size 10 shoes. After a while, it don't feel right! Cheers,

Spencer

@sbank

+1

OP: FYI, I have a LSA Voyager GaN 350 (solid state) that has exceptional sound and is very affordable. Ric Schultz modifies them to take them to another level.

I have Emerald Physics 3.4s which are Open Baffle with 12" concentric drivers and one inch polyester tweeters. Super easy load. If you’re patient you can get a great deal on this brand (there are a number of similar models- a couple which incorporate 15" woofers) all of which are no longer made. See my Virtual System for pic