HT and 2 channel in same room? 1 or 2 systems?

Hi all, I wasn't exactly sure where to post this but hoping someone here may have some advice for me.  This dilemma has been stressing me a bit so would appreciate any advice.  I'll try to make this as concise as possible.

I have recently put together a multichannel system as do a lot of movies/PS5.  System is Onkyo RZ50 AVR, Klipsch RF7-iii, RC-64iii and RP-600 for surround.  I plan on adding in ATMOS speakers and some big DIY subs soon.

I have always wanted to get into 2 channel audio also.  I have a fairly big room, 21x28, so I have also purchased a 5 year old pair of La Scala II's a few weeks ago and I just had a Willsenton R300 tube integrated amp delivereda day or two ago.

I thought at first I would have 2 separate systems in the same space.  I started doing some research into how to add a sub to that tube amp and found out I can do this via high level inputs, however, for every 1 discussion that seems to like that idea, I find another discussion or two that says you really need RCA out/bass management to make everything fit together.

So..my dilemma is do I push forward with 2 separate systems?  I'll have to find a way to fit another pair of subs for the 2 channel system via high level.  But this way I'll be able to enjoy the La Scala's via tube (thru Bluesound Node streamer) which I have been really looking forward to and then have a whole separate HT for gaming/movies.

But.....more than a few people have suggested this might be way over-thinking and over-complicating this and that I should just listen to music thought my multi-channel setup and forget the 2 separate systems.  If I did this, I guess I would just sell the RF7's and just listen to everything through the La Scalas.  And then I'd only need 2 subs, which would be a plus but then also kind of lose the dream of having a tube setup for music.  However, I have more often than not done upgrades and not heard any difference so I'm kind of expecting this with the tubes, too.  I have alot of hard surfaces in this room, which I'm working on rectifying, but I am def worried that if I hook up this tube amp, its not going to sound any different to me than going via Pure Audio/Direct thru the AVR.

So plusses to keeping separate, I get to listen to tubes.  Plusses to going down to 1 system, I can consolidate and sell extra set of speakers, only need 1 set of subs, get to return the tube amp.  I'm just not sure if saying I have tubes is worth that or not.

Appreciate any advice anyone may have on this situation.

128x128johns21

The DAC in the AV amp simply isn't up to it

Interesting, I added the Sony Signature TAZH1ES DAC/headphone amp/pre for the same reason. I tried it as a preamp in two channel mode but prefer the use of the room correction of my Marantz processor. Now I just run it via the RCA connection into the processor. Another benefit of the outboard dac approach is that it is easier to upgrade a dac then swap out an entire processor or receiver.

Projectors suck compared to OLED

No, they both have advantages. I found a good way to take advantage of Dolby Vision on my non DV PJ was to use a Zidoo device. The DV engine in the Zidoo is able to be read with the HDR in my PJ. Even DVD's look awesome (maybe not OLED awesome but how much is a 120 inch OLED? LOL)

I have 2 channel and AV 5.1 in my low profile credenza I have a Oppo BD Blu-ray player that has RCA sub out that goes to my two Subs and HDMI that goes to my Emotiva XMC-2 AV preamp Also BNC digital out to my Exogal Comet Plus DAC From my DAC l go XRL out to my tube ARC LS15 preamp and from there to my VAC tube amp So when l want to listen to my 2 channel rig l select coaxial out on my OPPO to my DAC When l want to listen to my 5.1 with the OPPO, Firestick, LG OLED or Xbox l select the output on my Emotiva XMC-2 I use the XRL from my Emotiva to my subs also I have two set of speakers Towers with built in powered subs and Maggie’s and use both in my 2 channel and 5.1

I went through this when I added video to an earlier system and again when I moved house and gear to a new location. Some of my conclusions:

1 - you need main speakers that are dual purpose, i.e. that have the range and sound good with either pure audio or video, which means that they have to have decent bass output - bookshelf speakers need not apply

2 - there is no such thing as a really good surround processor that will also do a truly great job in the pure audio system, so don't try.That means buying a good quality AV preamp or receiver and having a separate amplification chain for audio and video

I bought an Marantz AV preamp that does a very good job on movie sound but does not sound as good as my all tube audio chain.

3 - you can use the same power amp for thee main speakers if you like, or you can do what I did - use a different amp. That way I reserve tube life for music and use an old Rowland 5 solid state amp for AV - all I have to do is pull the speaker leads out of the tube amp and plug them into th Rowland

4. if you have a big room and your speakers aren't exceptionally good on bass, you will want some bass reinforcement, particularly as movie sound tracks use the impact of bass to stun their audience into admiration. That means a separate subwoofer (I use a pair of matched powered Hsu units that give good clean low bass, a fairly rare thing in reasonably priced subs.)

5. The AV preamp can feed a separate multi-channel power amp for surround speakers. You want decent speakers (I used all Vandersteen). Audition in the room to see whether or not you need a center channel speaker - it turned out that I didn't as my main speakers produced a better phantom centre channel than a centre speaker I had bought (and subsequently sold on)

6. - Pay someone with the specialized sound equipment to set up your speakers and room - it will ay of in the pure audio system as well.  Mark main speaker position with tape or marks in case you ever have to temporarily move them.  The analysis will also point out any slap echos and room flaws that you may want to address then or later - the solution may not be too expensive - heavy curtains you can close for movies, for instance can tame some problems.

If your main speaker placement in the room is wide enough that you can use a regular screen, you can buy a regular screen (mine is a 10 foot diagonal that is powered and winds up behind a false beam in the room when not in use.  If speaker placement dictates, you may need to locate the screen in front of the speakers (i.e. if they are placed closer together than the screen dimensions) in which case you have to but an acoustically transparent screen material (they aren't actually sonically transparent - they usually lose 1-2 dB but that can be compensated for when the sound guys sets it all up).

My set up can be seen at 

I am not sure of your specific questions other then the title, and that is pretty vague. I can share with you my approach when faced with the same general question where I had one space and wanted to optimize several factors - appearance, cost, sound quality for 2 channel . . .

I bought a Benchmark DAC3 with HT bypass. It has worked great for me. The DAC serves as a pre-amp also allowing me to input a digital signal from my streamer and also the analog signal from my Onkyo AVR. With a press of a button on the remote, I can be only two channels (digital input from streamer) using 1 amp and 1 set of R/L speakers.  Or I can switch to the analog inputs of the DAC which connect to the front two pre-amp out channels of the AVR . There are also outputs on the DAC and AVR for low level outputs for my two subs. I use a paired benchmark amp. I am very happy with the flexibility and sound quality. I find the two channel audio to be excellent and it is very easy to switch to the AVR inputs for TV/Movies allowing me to use the same two channel amp and R/L speakers.  The improvement over using the DAC/AMP in my AVR was very noticeable.