what cd player ?

looking for suggestions for a cd player in the $1k -1300 range.

innersound300
  • Audiolab CDT9000 just dropped. Paul Rigby placed in higher standing than the 6000, consistent with the difference in price. I’d personally try that one, although haven’t even heard the 6000CDT:

Simple question find a Cary 306 SACD player and send it to me for upgrades. It will be the last CDP you buy ever!

Happy Listening.

As per another reader I have an Audiolab 6000 CDT and Denafrips Ares II. The combination is excellent.  The Audiolab replaced my Rotel RDD 980 transport and the difference is substantial. I also looked to replace with other CD players including recent models from Rotel, Marantz and Naim, if any of these sounded any better I would have bought them. If you already have a DAC or need a DAC for other sources the Audiolab at the price is outstanding. 

+1 for the Audiolab 6000CDT. I have mine hooked up to a Denafrips Pontus II standalone DAC and it sounds awesome. The 6000CDT currently sells for $499 on Amazon and you can maybe pick up a Denafrips Ares II DAC used for $500 - $600.  The Pontus II is the next model above the Ares II and sells for about $1800 USD new. Your only other expense would be to buy a quality coax cable to connect the 6000CDT to the Ares II. Buying quality separate components (CD transport + standalone DAC) will more than likely outperform a similarly priced all in one CDP.  Having a standalone DAC is also useful for future system expansion such as adding a dedicated streamer or headphone amplifier. I have both of mine connected to the Pontus.