Cloning an SSD for a Music Streamer

Greetings all,

I have a Cocktail Audio X-45 music streamer with a 2TB internal SATA SSD. I have now run out of space for adding music and plan to replace it with a 4TB or 6TB Internal or External SATA SSD.

What is the best/most precise method for cloning my music database from one SSD to the other? Do I need a software program, SATA cable or other mechanism to accomplish this? Is it possible that I need to connect them through my computer?

Full Dislcoure: I am not a Computer audio user. I have a stand-alone 2 channel system. Although, I am moderately computer literate.

Any guidance offered would be most appreciated.

Thanks & Cheers,

Steve

stevenyc

If you clone a 2T to a 4T it will only use 2T.

I would just copy, overnight. Otherwise uses too many.steps.

Assuming the cocktail streamer doesn’t have some obscure formatting requirement it should be pretty straightforward. I’ve done this with Naim gear in the past- format the new drive and copy the contents of the previous drive onto the new one.

What does the streamer’s documentation say?

Agree with @fuzztone , but  ​​​​​​@designsfx makes a good point, many systems use a version of the Unix operating systems to format data as it's a much cheaper license then the Microsoft format of data. Ask Cocktail, they will tell you. If it is a Unix version, have a computer store do it for you. Although you can do it yourself, unless you are very good with computers (moderate isn't good enough, sorry to say) and the right software, it's not worth your time or effort.

Just FYI, I am a retired CIO, so I am very familiar with the process converting Unix data to another format. 

@deadhead1000 

You knew exactly where I was going with that! Years ago I studied the IRIX operating system when learning 3D software for use on SGI workstations (man that was a while ago!).

I had a music server die that had a Linux based operating system and when I thought about the time it would take to load a machine and wade through it to figure it out I decided to cut my losses and buy a different server! I still have it in a box in the garage.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner (MAC only program) for that - fantastic program. In default configuration it makes copy identical to original by dealing only with files that are different working really fast. For Windows you can try Acronis TrueImage. I don’t know this particular program, but I heard that it works well and I had positive experience with Acronis backup software for Windows in the past.