Yggdrasil OG dac anologue 2 possible problem

I’ve been using this dac for a few weeks as my primary headphone dac for the hd800s. It sounds great, the details are well separated and clear. The soundstage is open. Unfortunately I’ve had an issue that has been bothering me.

I currently stream all of my music primarily from tidal and spotify as a backup. When the sample rate changes from song to song I will hear a click come from the yggdrasil dac which sounds like a solenoid flipping and the lights will change to indicate the sample rate has changed. Unfortunately on occasion when this happens,  I will hear audio come through only my right headphone driver for a quarter second before both drivers play evenly. The volume will be very low in the righ driver for a quarter second then I will hear the click and then the volume will play through both drivers at the normal rate.

This is mostly an infrequent issue but it has happened to me frequently the past few days. It happens often if I am listening to master quality off of tidal and then open spotify or watch a youtube video. Has anyone else experienced this?

It has began to become incredibly annoying and I am trying to find a way to prevent it.

newtoaudio100

I have a bifrost II that does the same thing. It only does it when the sample rate changes---play two songs in a row that are the same sampler rate, e.g., an album recorded the same from song to song, and you won’t hear it.

Schiit says clearly on their website this is normal and afaik there is no way to prevent it.

Jerry

Schiit uses different clocks for 44.1K vs 48K (and multiples thereof for 88.2K and 96K, etc.)  This gives the most precise handling of the digital to analog conversion.  Cheaper DACs will use a single clock and approximate the sample frequency.  Schiit uses relays to switch clocks, hence the noise you hear. Sounds like the short delay between the left and right is that the relay on one channel is switching faster than its brother on the other channel.

I'd suggest you email Schiit and ask them if this is something that can be addressed. Might be a component in one channel is a bit off-spec.

Check the settings in the streamer app, see if there is a delay for sample rate changes. Some DACs take a while to adjust to a new sample rate and the streaming app mutes for a specified time selected by the user. The Yggdrasil only needs a second or two for the relay to change so the delay should be set for two seconds or less.