What Does It Take To Surpass A SME V?

Thinking about the possibility of searching for a new tonearm. The table is a SOTA Cosmos Eclipse. Cartridge currently in use is a Transfiguration Audio Proteus, and it also looks like I will also have an Ortofon Verismo if a diamond replacement occurs without incident. 

The V is an early generation one but in good condition with no issues. Some folks never thought highly of the arm, others thought it quite capable. So it's a bit decisive. 

The replacement has to be 9 to 10.5 inches. I have wondered if Origin Live is worth exploring? Perhaps a generation old Triplanar from the pre owned market?

Any thoughts on what are viable choices? 

neonknight

@mijostyn  Yes that is the question, are we talking the 2.0 or the 3.3? The 2.0 is going to be roughly the same price as the B.M.C. MCCI Signature ULN that is available to me. 

The topology of the Signature ULN appears to be quite sophisticated. From a users standpoint I am not wild about the internal jumpers, but I can live with it. 

From the site its a bit unclear if there is differences between the two units circuits. Or if its more about user flexibility. 

Can anyone expand? I need to make a deicision today if i am going to grab the B.M.C.

I put mine on a Sota turntable.  The arm was too heavy and ultimately collapsed the springs of the table....poor move.

From my reading bits written by audio journalists who usually have only a tenuous grasp of the technology, it seems the MCCI and Leno are a bit different from one another in circuitry. As a user of the MCCI, I simplified things by turning off the Neumann compensator and any bass frequency modulation. I also set gain to zero db; only a very few cartridges would require the +7 or 14 db settings. Also keep in mind that Fremer reviewed the original version, not the ULN Signature version, in 2013. I think the jumpers are very easy to understand and deal with in the latest version. But I can’t say which you’d like better between the MCCI ULN Sig and the Lino C.

The Method experienced and the one that has been investigative and proven to have a very impressive impact is the use of PC Triple C Wire as a Arm Wand Wire and if able to be achieved, exchange the Phon' Internal Signal Path Wire for PC Triple C.

PC Triple C is not found as a Metal in Connectors at present, Designs that use Pure Copper or a OCC  for both Male Female are available.

Limiting the use of the OCC or Pure Copper Connector to the Cable Only is a method to create a partial result, that is able to be further benefitted by adding a partnering design to the chassis. 

In the case of a RCA exchange a Pure Copper Low Mass / Low Eddy Connector will be a good selection.

XLR's from what I have been offered as a description, are a Low Mass/ow Eddy Design, choosing the metal for the connection is the additional consideration.

The impression made from the experience of being demo'd versions of the above has been so, that I am having the above done to the Pre-Amp that is to be Built for me. 

When the HiFi System is back into action, I will be looking to have similar done to the other devices in use, the Power Amp's are already agreed to be converted to the above methodology by the Designer/Builder when the Design is to include the Balanced Circuit in conjunction with the Single Ended.