Speakers that are good with tubes

I have see several recommendations against tube amps powering certain speakers. But which speakers are known to really like time amps, especially high powered tube amps?

lewl28

I ran a pair of PSB Stratus Gold i's with my Conrad Johnson LP260M-SE amps.  It sounded great.  The LP260's use 8 KT120's per amp.  I was then able to upgrade to Conrad Johnson ART300 amps and Egglestonworks Viginti speakers.  The ART300's use 4 kt150's per amp.   I am pretty sure this is my forever set-up, or at least until my kids are done with college.

I have seen a couple of people knock high powered tube amps.  That may be their experience.  My experience is that I have had great results with both CJ tube amps and both the PSB's and the Egglestonworks.

Happy New Year.  Enjoy the music.

jond this just is not true thre are a ton of great high powered tube amplifiers

zesto arc cj vtl and manly all make great high powered tube amplifiers

the zesto monoblocks are amazing sounding powerful tube amplifiers

Dave and Troy

Audio intellect Nj

Dave and Yrou

Audio intellect Nj

zesto dealer

Open baffle speakers are generally very efficient, mate well with tubes (especially 300B's IMO), and kill everything else at equivalent prices.

I've got the GR Research NX-Otica open baffles mated with a 9 watt per channel Elekit integrated amp and, IMO, it outperforms friends' systems that cost 3 to 5 Porsche 911's.

I have to disagree with some of the comments above.  There are plenty of great tube amps available.  Depending on the design is how they will handle bass, dynamic swings, and difficult speakers loads.  The Class A tube mono blocks we build have out performed many SS power amps rated at much more WPC.  Current is one determining factor.  At 40wpc they will power most anything even the YG Acoustic Carmel speakers better than the 300wpc class D amps at $16K the person had driving them.  So making general statements means very little unless you have the experience and knowledge in the specific area.

Happy Listening.  

I recently read an article that discusses this very topic. It is very enlightening because it dispels the myth of sensitivity ratings and explains why that is not what you want to consider. When I get home and in front of my computer I will post it.