When CDs first came onto the market in 1982 .......

Everyone was "blown away" with the perceived clarity of sound.

I might be wrong (hence this post) but my recollection was the major difference between a CD and it's vinyl analog was merely volume. 

CDs were mastered with an audio stream turned up to 1.2v (?) whereas all analog recordings (vinyl, tape etc.) had been mastered using an analog audio stream of 0.8v

Is this on the money or am I mistaken ... ??

ozymandias_

@deadhead1000 I gave away a vinyl collection I started in the sixth grade(American beauty G D ) first record ,because of the wonder technology of the cd. Just one of many of my Duh! Moments.

Don’t think you are correct.

My experience. I had a consumer rig then. I bought an $80 no-name cd player and it was a huge upgrade to my consumer turntable and tape deck.  Never boght another piece of vinyl.

Jerry

Sony had a Presentation in some large room/auditorium in San Diego. I remember attending (mid 80s) and listening to their CDs. Somehow, the music skipped and people just freaked out: "It skipped! It skipped!". Hilarious! 

I loved Cds for their immortality, play time and lack of ticks and pops. Thank you Lord!

@bikeboy52 I feel your pain man. When I was living in NYC in the late 1980s and my roommate was moving out he asked repeatedly for all my vinyl cause we’d gotten caught up in the CD thing. For some reason I had the fortitude to say no and thank the audio Gods I did cause I’m reviving my analog system and those records would probably all be in a landfill now. To answer the OP’s question, yeah there were immediate benefits to CDs. They were much easier to play, had no pops or clicks and required no cleaning, and they sounded more dynamic with more and cleaner treble that was initially really intoxicating. Then reality set in that, as my system got better the “perfect sound forever” just left me cold and sounded overly processed or sterile. In the early 90s I bought a DBX CD player from Crazy Eddie’s that had some settings to hide some of the warts, but it was just a bandaid for what was then just bad DDD recording or bad digital transfer. Thankfully at that time I went back to business school and of necessity separated myself from audio for about 10 years. But then I got back into audio in a big way and started writing reviews where, you know what? — digital got some religion and realized some of its sins (I’m looking at you jitter) and things got a lot better. I remember reviewing an Ayre CD player and a Bel Canto DAC and thinking — “yeah, this is real music again.” So there was hope for the future. Not going any further here, but between better digital technology and high-quality streaming I think we’ve finally got something here. So the initial, yet severely flawed, initial medium has finally matured into a real rival to vinyl sonically while adding extreme convenience and accessibility to worlds of music in the mix. What a great time to be an audiophile!