Master Clock for the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo SE

Hi guys

I have the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo SE in a rig with a very well treated digital signal. It sounds very nice, but it doesn't have a Master Clock input because I did not wanted to pay that aditional cost back then (now I kind of regret it as I have a Master Clock).

Has anyone of you tried this device with and without a Master Clock feeding it? Does it really make a noticeable difference? My experience has been that the further the device from the DAC, the less impact the Master Clock makes. The biggest impact is feeding the DAC. I have it also feeding a DDC before the DAC and the Uptone ER and I don't find a big difference, mostly on the ER.

​Please answer if you had a real listening experience. I don't want to start a technical debate. 

plga

Thanks for the answers.

My DAC is being fed by the Clock and it made a noticeable difference on it, but not much on the upper parts of the digital chain. It seems that the further from the DAC, the smaller the impact of a clock.

I will watch Hans SMS-200 Ultra Neo video again. Thanks. I don't remember him talking about this subject in particular.

“Does it really make a noticeable difference?”
@plga

The answer to your question is emphatically YES! But you must use a very high quality external Master Clock to hear appreciable improvements.The BNC clock cable quality also matters. If your DAC or Streamer can accept a 10MHz external clock input, it is absolutely worth experimenting. I don’t own SMS-200 but my experience with Aurender N20 fed by external master clock was quite an eye opener. Inspired by this revelation, I am now putting together pieces to try a fully tricked out sNH-10G switch with external master clock and later plan to add Aurender N30SA.

Once you hear a system with a high quality master clock, you will not go back!

@jjss49 

Thanks for posting the video. Hans nailed it. But man, he missed the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, he could have easily asked SOtM to send the switch with external master clock input :-)