DAC recommendations

Okay. So, before this becomes the typical dac battle, let me explain what I have and what I’m looking for. My system consists of an Aric Audio Custom 300b PSET amp(almost always in class A set mode), Audio Note an-e/lx speakers, Cambridge cxn v2 streamer modified by ModWright tube dac and a Topping d90 dac. I can switch back and forth to get a tube sound from the ModWright or a more “accurate” depiction of the recording through the Topping. After a few months, I think I want something in the middle. The tube dac lacks a little clarity and the Topping is very critical of poor recordings. Both have their times when they sound better but I’m seeking a middle ground. 
Here’s what I’m looking for. I would like clarity, without being analytical. But most of all, I want natural sounding! I want a piano to sound like a piano etc…Lastly, I prefer a bit more bass and less bright sounding. Does this dac exist?

Ive looked at the Denafrips Terminator 2 and would prefer not to spend $6800. Does the Venus 2 fit? Bricasti m3? Other suggestions? I have some high quality components and would like a dac to match. Thanks in advance 

earthbound

I’m aware that many dislike the Border Patrol DAC or possibly just the idea & maybe measurements but problem not from actual listening experience. I think it fits your description of what you’re looking for. It’s very natural sounding & not fatiguing like I’ve found some other highly touted ones. I think they’ll let you do a home trial. Check it out.

@earthbound the main weakness is your Airplay front end from the switch and cables through to your streamer. Get a good switch with a clock and good cables and a Lumin U2, then subscribe to Qobuz and or Tidal and don’t bother spending more until after you upgrade your tubes in your Cambridge. If feel you want a one box solution for cheaper you could just buy a Gustard R26 which I prefer to my Terminator II and use DLNA or Roon instead of Apple. Or if price becomes no object when you get serious upgraditis, get the Lumin AND the Lampizator Baltic 3 which is the same price as the Terminator Plus, but by far my favorite DAC I’ve ever had in my system.

Hello Earthbound!  I have eight DACs, admittedly none of the multi thousand dollar ones, and I recommend the Sony HPA-3. It's one of those portable DAC/headphone units. It is very musical, uncolored, and is a joy to listen to. It was immediately apparant that is was more pleasant to listen to than any of the others on hand (SMSLM500, Pre Box S2, Merridian Explorer2, Dragonfly Black, etc). I suspect the Sony has been discontinued. I was able to get one, new -in the box, at half price from a local hi-fi shop. Happy Listening!

You are not the first person to suggest the Gaia DDC rooze. I’m not really familiar with it or it’s function. Clock related I think? Sounds like a good potential upgrade in the future after I figure the rest of this system out. 

I’m not just looking to spend more money jjss49. My previous system lasted 25 years because I bought quality equipment. I’m looking to do the same now. I’m not a person that wants to continually tweek my system. I currently have a cheap dac and a more expensive dac and would like to improve that segment of the sound. Speakers are great and amp is wonderful. Dac I’m not thrilled with but it’s good , just not great. So I figure I can take a chance at a higher end model. I have no aversion selling something if it is not acceptable to me, Zu speakers for example. As far as front end, Cambridge got great reviews and is used as a reference for Steve from Decware whose living is based on quality sound. I will also give Qobuz a try. I wouldn’t think that high resolution Apple could be too different from high resolution Qobuz, but I will find out. 😀🙏🏻