best transport for ... 2008?

So, "Goners. Wanted to update this (series of) old thread(s) from 2004. What's new? What's the best affordable transport for today's great DACs?

SACD support wins bonus points!
socrates7
Well Soc, old chum, I'd be real interested in the new PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport. It's a memory transport that can hook to the internet, has great features and performance and is priced around $1500. It should be out in a couple of months if all goes as planned.
The best transport 2008? Well, is NO transport IMO. Rip your CDs to your laptop, get a "Spoiler" USB DAC from Empirical Audio and enjoy. Or if you want to save money and use your own DAC, get a Trends Audio or Hagerman USB/ AES/EBU converter, link it between DAC and laptop and let it rip with foobar. You'll be amazed.....
(I use Zanden and DCS transports by the way )
Cheers,
Detlof
I switched to computer hard drives about 5 years ago and am thrilled with the results. The key for me was using an Empirical Offramp turbo 2 ( or Freeway 2).We are on the cusp of several new sampleing rates, many hi rez downloads, and free upsampler's. For 1k for the computer, $700 for the Freeway, and a couple hundred for a monitor, you are ready to play music now and future proof(almost) for later. Like to record your vinyl at 24/96, burn cd's for your car, transfer music to a second system, all no problem. We don't have to be limited to 16/44 anymore. Have fun!