Sony HAP-Z1ES file transfer BROKEN!!!

Hello all:

I just has an enlightening/depressing discussion with a senior level Sony ES Tech.  I had not used my HAP-Z1ES recently (or more correctly I had not uploaded any music to the unit for several months).  I have done some listening, tho.

Last evening I tried to transfer some FLAC files, and the HAP did not even appear as a network device on either my Mac Pro, or Windows 10 PC.   I futzed around with it for several hours with no success.  Then I did a Google search, and found that others had gotten it to work AFTER going into the HAP hidden SMB setup screen, and selecting SMB 1.0 as the protocol.

I finally got it to work on the Windows side, but then noticed the transfer speed was half of what it used to be- and that previous speed was glacially slow. They will have to come up with a new word to describe how slow it is now.

Sony tech told me that Apple, in their infinite wisdom, rendered the SMB protocol inoperative in High Sierra onward, due to "security concerns"  Sony Japan asked Apple to come up with a workaround to allow their HAP customers to be able to continue to use their players, but was told "Not only NO, but Hell, NO. We're not the slightest bit interested"  Thanks SO much, Apple!!!!

Windows users have also been affected because Microsoft recently downgraded to SMB protocol from Ver.2 back to ver.1.  Hence, the transfer speed was cut exactly in half, and that's precisely what I observed.

The Tech told me that to continue to use a Mac to work with my HAP-Z1ES, I'd have to find an older MAC that was running an earlier version of OS-X where the SMB was not hobbled.

I'm thinking about getting a laptop and installing LINUX to see if the file transfer to the HAP would speed up- since Sony natively uses the Linux EXT4 filesystem.

Has anyone else done this?

And thanks again, Apple and Microsoft!!!

P.S.  Sony has not put any of this information on their HAP-Z1ES website- tech said their legal beagles won't let them- so the customers have to do the digging to get to the truth of what is transpiring.

kind regards,

Greg Davis

dumpster

I have 2 HAPZ1ES players, one in each system.  I am still amazed that 10 years later, I have no desire to change to something else.  They still sound excellent.  The unit in my office system is left on all the time as it has problems turning back on if it is shut off.  I bought that one second hand for under a grand so it doesn’t bother me.  The other unit which I purchased new has been flawless.  I don’t have any problems transferring files with Windows 11.  I don’t even bother with the Sony software.  I just open Windows explorer and drag and drop, easy Peezy. 

I have not messed with Windows 11 as yet to see if the transfer rate is better/faster than Win10.  I may go the Ubuntu route to see how that works out.

I almost pulled the trigger on a second HAP-Z1ES, but ended up getting a killer deal on another Logitech Transporter, so went that route instead.  Still sounds very good, but definitely not state of the art.

gregor

The trick with Samba is to make sure it's version 3, or sometimes calls 'cifs'. Just about any system can direct mount it that way.

Ubuntu is a distribution or flavor of Linux. Technically I use PopOS, which is a stripped down Ubuntu.

I did try to use the program 'unison' to mirror the collection across to the HAPS. That was a horrible failure as the response time on the mount is too slow. The CPU is really under powered.

Ran into the EXACT same issue.  Hadn't uploaded new music for a couple years. Decided to download a couple HD Tracks albums and then rip two CDs. The two CDs took For Ev Er to transfer and then it erred. Same thing with the HD flies.  Busted out a disc drive and see if I can shoot them directly into the HAP, which I've never had luck with that process.  I get it set to transfer and head to the store/dinner. Four hours later,  it had attempted to transfer two tracks, neither worked,  and it showed 15000+ errors. What a stupid program.  Great device,  garbage software. 

I was going to break out my 15 year old laptop with Win 7 to see if that would do the trick but first,  I tried @stereo5 's method of file explorer drag-and-drop. What took HAP Transfer 6 hours to unsuccessfully complete was successfully completed in less than 30 minutes.  Thank you for saving my sanity!