Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

ronkent

Have you considered a tube buffer or a tube disc player ?

I had the last solid state Carver CD player design , granted it was from the 80's and it sounded digital .  It was replaced with Carvers last CD player that uses 2 tubes in the output and I love it , when I read about it it seemed that for years many considered it their reference player .  My point is that using a tube buffer or finding a tube based CD player would most likely solve your disc brightness .

You might also consider upgrading the components on your crossovers , they made a lot of improvements since 2006 .  

I'm probably going to the crossover upgrade on my 3.7s next year, it is really worth it if you plan on keeping them for many more years.

ronkent

Welcome! Back- good to see you here again. Thank You for chiming in about IsoAcoustics GAIA footers and application for CS 3.7 loudspeakers. You are an expert on Thiel Audio.

Happy Listening!

vair68robert

I am looking into acquiring a Tubed cd pIayer . have to figure out the compatibility with my AYRE AX-5 integrated amp.

Happy Listening!

@ronkent  Thanks for the update on your system and the advice on how an improved DAC can reduce glare and related digital gremlins in reproducing music from CDs. I've been following the comments on the PS Audio forum about the beta testing of the new DSD MK2 DAC, but I didn't know you were one of the beta testers. I currently own the original DSD DAC, and I'm very likely to move up to the MK2 once it becomes generally available. Putting together your impressions about reduced glare from CDs, together with other beta testers raving about how wonderfully musical and engaging the new DAC is, I'm thinking that a DSD MK2 may be a perfect match for taming any tendencies my Thiel 2.2 speakers might have for exhibiting any glare or brightness.

I had been considering upgrading my ancient Sony CD player to a better player or transport that would use an external DAC, but I'm just not playing that many CDs any more. My preferred method for CD listening has now changed to ripping CDs to WAV files on my Innuos Zen server/streamer. I then send the digital signal from the Zen via USB to a PhoenixUSB re-clocker and then on to the DSD DAC. The PhoenixUSB improves the smoothness and naturalness of the reproduction, and I'm hoping that the addition of the new PS Audio DAC will take my system to an even higher level.