Do Costly XLR Cables Make A Difference?

Serious question here. I currently own a rather good XLR cable that goes between the amp and DAC. I’m considering a better XLR cable to improve things, basically all the good aspects of sound reproduction such as deeper and more defined bass, better separation and detail across the frequency spectrum and an airier and more 3-dimensional sound in the midrange and treble. Will a different XLR cable supposedly one that’s costlier bring me to that direction?

My current XLR cable costs about $2k actual price paid.

I’m looking at an alternative pair up to about $2k perhaps $3k tops if it is proven that the cable is able to bring a noticeable or worthwhile if not significant difference. I am actually looking at the Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 and Gold Eclipse 8 XLR.

Any experience would be appreciated. 

ryder

I own a couple of XLR’s from Cerious Technologies. They sound different than my previous cables from Cardas. I liked them and kept them.

@pedroeb Yep….. the Dragon was in my loaner set…… very transparent and very expensive…… 

I find it interesting how often we equate the sound quality to the price we paid.  I have interconnects made by Morrow Cables and my system sounds great.  I only buy from Morrow during their 60% off sale, which happens to be going on right now.  And it's not just Morrow who has perpetual sales on the go.  Many many cable companies have their product on sale all the time.  I mean really, does anyone think MSRP is a real thing?  So when the OP says he's will to pay $3K, is he looking at cables that have MSRP of $6K - $8K ?  

Mogami xlr makes the best xlr cables that good studios use, and if you want better make your own using neutrik or switchcraft gold plated xlr connectors. You can make your own cable better than most other companies and I’m not kidding, copper and plastic is very cheap no need to pay a lot for it unless it’s gold and some kind of electro plated metal or plastic incasing the wire, even a magnetic shielded cable shouldn’t cost so much 🤑🤡

As mentioned it depends on your system and of course ears. I’ve used Canare which is surprisingly pretty good, great for the money. I use these cables on my drum kit to mic. Later I moved up to WyWires Silver XLR which was a big jump up, everything improved, more refined, separation between instruments both in width and depth. The Canare in comparison closed in, a little rolled off but still a pleasant cable. Still have the Canare and WyWires but now have a Nordost Frey 2 and it’s in another league. Using to run my RME ADI 2 fs DAC directly to my amp and it’s outstanding. I’d like to give all the credit to the RME, which maybe it’s the DAC, but the Frey 2 is letting it show what it’s capable of. I only have the one Frey 2 so I’m stuck running DAC direct to amp, as when I throw the WyWires back in the chain to use a dedicated preamp it’s not as good. Preamp is a ModWright LS 36.5 so it’s no slouch. I’m sure there’s a lot of high dollar cables that are not worth it but many are. As always, trust your own ears.