Open Baffle Experience

Much has been said about open baffles, including an epic website by the late, great Dr. Linkwitz but I've only heard them really once, playing absolutely garbage music (thanks Pure Audio!) at a hotel.

I'm talking here about dynamic drivers in single baffles without enclosures, not ESLs or Magneplanar type systems.

I'm curious who has had them, and who kept them or went back to "conventional" boxes?

I'm not really looking to buy speakers, but I did start thinking about this because of a kit over at Madisound made with high quality drivers.

erik_squires

This whole discussion has all been about open baffle merits, referencing the Linkwitz designs. What’s been totally missing from the discussion is the merits of active amplification. All of the Linkwitz designs use active amplification. Very few, if any of the various muy expensivo hi-end designs use active crossovers. In many ways, active crossovers are as significant to the Linkwitz designs as is open baffle.

I’ve been running my Orion set for 16 years and still love them. Every time I think about doing something else, I sit down for a serious listen to my rig and fall in love again. The LX521 really is a step up, but not so much that I’m willing to leave my Orions. They are my "forever" loudspeaker.

This whole discussion has all been about open baffle merits, referencing the Linkwitz designs. What’s been totally missing from the discussion is the merits of active amplification. All of the Linkwitz designs use active amplification. Very few, if any of the various muy expensivo hi-end designs use active crossovers. In many ways, active crossovers are as significant to the Linkwitz designs as is open baffle.

Linkwitz was a stalwart proponent of active speaker designs long before DSP crossovers and equalizers were even available.  He also designed his speakers for excellent on and off axis response, an art lost in many high end makers today.

I wanted to talk in this thread about the general limitations and benefits of open baffle designs and how they compare to boxes or even other line sources.

The LX521 is a standout in my mind because it is a 4 way, allowing for fine tuning of the horizontal polar response, but having to use 4 channels per speaker is a big no for me.  😁

What do you think the active part of Linkwitz designs brings others lack?

@johnnycamp5

I used to think as you do about "needing" sub/s. I have Emerald Physics 3.4s OB 12" woofer with 1" concentric tweeters. Since owning them for almost 2 years now I felt the need for sub/s, BUT, I did 2 things recently that flipped my script

1. I upgraded all my cables with Ali-Express Odin 2 and Odin Gold which is HUGE in regards to everything, but especially to lows -mids

2. I’ve had a Solid Steel vertical rack for 15+ years. Just this week I came across a local deal and bought a solid maple table top (5 x 2 x 2"), and I am FLOORED what it does for everything, but especially the bass

hth

I had too much experience with open baffle speakers, i had Diesis Audio open baffles before and they are the bes t op's imo, open baffle is very hard to find perfect place to set the speakers and everybody has an opinion like open baffle is easy to drive you need just some watts for them that the common mistake and wrong , open baffles plays all the room and you must drive them with good amplifiers produces good current except watts...

@mwatsme could you send me link to plans for your speakers? I think this is exactly what I am looking for in my listening space.