Pass labs upgrade path

Hi there. I’m Currently running a X350.5 and XP20 with a Bricasti M1SE and PBN KAS speakers. 

I have budget to upgrade amp or preamp and am considering either a X350.8 or XP22 or XP30 as my next logical upgrade. 

I’m more inclined for a XP22 than anything else as I heard a XP12 in my system and it did sound much more like a live show but without the advantages of separate power supply. 

I have not heard a XP30 or a .8 amplifier so I figured I’d ask around and see if anyone had been in a similar spot. 

Thanks y’all. 

128x128systembuilder

@jc4659

arc has, in recent (the last 10-15) years continued to make their sound more extended into far reaching treble and bass, providing a greater sense of speed, while maintaining the lovely midrange and soundstaging magic

c-j has as well ... especially from art to act to gat... i have personally gone from pv-14 to prem 17ls2 to prem 16ls2 to et-5 and now to et7-ii -- each step offered decidely more transparency, bass solidity and slam, with an attendant reduction in the old 'rose-colored glasses' presentation...just like audio research, the tube magic is still there in the critical midrange and for spatial presentation, but at the same time, allowing the listener to hear into the music much more than before

its my opinion, one shared with other owners of higher level arc and c-j units, is that the sound of these two companies have been converging for some time into their version of a ’more modern sound’

@jjss49 Thanks for that analysis! I really should get out and listen to the newer versions of preamps from both companies. It's been awhile!

@jjss49 Perhaps if I would have used the more "modern" CJ preamps like the ET series I would have a different opinion of how they sound with Pass amps.  The closest I got was the CT5 and Premier 16.  The PR16 with Pass I felt was too warm and while the CT5 was suppose to be an improvement, I never liked the "super tube" sound.  Thus I always stuck with Pass pre amps when using Pass amps.  I bet your ET7 would sound wonderful with a Pass amp.  Even though you mostly stream now, why don't you run it throught the ET7, since you have one?  Seems to me you would realize even better SQ?

I have the pass XA25 running with a Khozmo passive.  And upgraded resistors.  I think my system has a neutral sound.  I have horn speakers as well.  I won't be buying anything else.  Really good sound. 

@jjss49 Perhaps if I would have used the more "modern" CJ preamps like the ET series I would have a different opinion of how they sound with Pass amps. 

@marco1 

yes i will get around to trying it, likely this winter, but of late i have been pursuing the 'less is more' angle, using dacs that have good volume control schemes to directly drive power amps...