DAC’s

Hello, curious on everyone’s thoughts. I’m still building my system. I came across a really good deal on a Meitner MA3 dac. It’s from an authorized dealer and they offered to sell me one NIB for 7k. I have read and read about dacs and I am getting tired. Haha. I really like the Denafrips Terminator 2, Holo and the lumin T3 being the cheapest of them all. Once I factor in a streamer I am already close or over the 7k. Also I don’t need a dac for anything other then just streaming. Thank you 

shtr74sims

That is a good price for a Meitner. If it were me, I would go for it.

You can easily sell it for that price, if you don't like it. Actually, you could sell it for more.

FWIW, I use Roon with a Brinkmann Nyquist. I don't need a Roon Core. Only a subscription to Roon and the Brinkmann does the rest.

Probably best to make sure with Meitner if that is so with their unit.

I can understand your trepidation. But, I had quite a learning curve when I moved to digital. I have owned many DAC's, from Schiit to Ayre. Moving to the Brinkmann pretty much ended my search. Though I haven't listened to the Meitner, I have heard good things about it, and I don't think you will be disappointed. Is there a possibility of you auditioning it against other brands at your dealer?

Bob

richardmathes it was a genuine question. That is part of what this site is for, is it not ? It’s like minded people who are into the same hobby. I bet you are the kind of guy who has an $800 a month truck payment and is always complaining he doesn’t have any money

Yeah - I am not much of streaming guy, but I think that It is good to get some listening in on whichever of the units you are considering.

While an in home demo is good, just finding where to do hear some of the units can often be a challenge at this level.

Hello, curious on everyone’s thoughts. I’m still building my system. I came across a really good deal on a Meitner MA3 dac. It’s from an authorized dealer and they offered to sell me one NIB for 7k

If they know you are interested, then can you try and convince them to let you do a demo?
(Even better if you had some other DAC to compare it to available.)

Even if that costed you some forfeitable fee, it could be worthwhile to know for sure before jumping in head first.

Have a LessLoss Echo's End R2R with 640X and the LessLoss footers for a demo in my system.

If it works out I will the replace my 280D and gift that to my daughter for her new condo. 

Those who say DACs don’t matter, zeroes and ones, I want to smoke what you are smoking. Or have tin ears. Or never listened to music. I would have saved myself a lot of money.

It’s like those guys with a Chromecast Audio as a “DAC” who bitch about Analog sounding so much better than their Digital. Well… no shit.

@12many 

Mr. Obvious. Very nice.

Precisely the only way to determine value. Head to head.

The value that others perceive has little or no bearing since they hear and spend differently.