Cost effective power cables recommendations, low and high power

I recently watched a number of informative videos about AC cables for our systems. One by the Dutchman Hans Beekhuysen (sp?) was really very good and explained why they matter, even with so many miles of cheapo cable bringing power into our homes, it seems to be all about reducing and rejecting stray interference from a lot of juice passing through the cables to our componenets, and the effect this might have on nearby interconnects and so on.

So I thought I would ask for recommendations from users here on what power cables you use for amplifiers (higher power consumption) and other components like digital stuff or preamps and so on, what are you happy with and that seems to make a difference big or small.

I am not about to spend thousands (or even many hundreds) for power cables, so hopefully something in what we mere mortals who work hard to earn our money can typically afford. Well shielded, properly twisted and insulated cable that does the job well, without typical marketing bull or obscene prices and markups please!

troidelover1499

Let me ask another question. For the main amp, it is pretty heavy so a thick stiff cord is workable but for smaller items like phono stage or DAC they are smaller lighter units, they will work much better with a pretty flexible lighter AC cable. Would appreciate suggestions for good sounding lighter gauge cords please.

As I understand it, shielding is pretty darned important, so perhaps making a really good sounding lighter flexible cord is actually more challenging than a big thick one.

I know that some makers do purposefully like to market their cords as mega thick pythons and give customers a sense they are getting something substantial, play with the buyer psychology some. But I think for my use with source components lighter and more flexible will be better, sound of the cable aside.

The ridgidity is dependent on the brand. Cardas are not ridged although thick. In general I agree that the emphasis on greater flexibility for components. It is not uncommon this to be true.

Most companies make power cords specifically for amps and also specifically for components. Component power cords are designed for greater noice resistance and the amp ones for greater current capacity.

I recommend just work on one cord… for your amp first. As I mentioned earlier, this typically will make the biggest difference. This makes it simpler. You can use Cableco’s lending library, instead of buying… or have a dealer lend you some. If you don’t get a valuable sound difference out of this… then you are unlikely to get a bigger difference out of one of your components (but it is possible).

Also, when auditioning… well anything. It’s good to do a few quick A / B comparisons and write down the results. But, unless you are really put off my a change, spend a number of continuous hours listening to music (not to the power cord). When you take it out, you will most likely get the best take on the real change in sound. I always switch back to my standard… which over the decades [I have chosen to be DHLabs… to me has always been a good quality budget wire. That is me. You can use Home Depot as your standard if you want.]

In light of your screenname, I suggest going here, and reading about which models are recommended for what types of components.

Power Cords | Triode Wire Labs

op

as you have seen through the replies there are many options out there

from my experience i think you should try some expensive cables on a returnable basis along with cheaper ones, as much of the discovery in this hobby is best done on a first-hand basis (as opposed to via hearsay) but at the end of day, i would use well made well respected cables from established makers that are collectively no more than what you would reasonably spend to upgrade a system component

for me, that means i stick to power cables no more $400-500 per cable at the high end, and more ideally in the $100-250 level... i have, and have tried more expensive ones, they are hit and miss and differences in sound are subtle at best over well made ’economy cables’ by the trusted cable makers

as for direct from china blatant copycat cables via alibaba or ebay ('audiocrast' he he), you decide if you want to fish in that ocean, some bargains may well be had but with my background and experience having worked there for many years, i just don’t trust that avenue as i believe that many of those sellers simply have no scruples, blatantly and bald-facedly lie about what the product is and what it contains -- i at least want to have some faith that what i have in my hand is what they tell me it is... but that is just me...

and, finally, as you have already pointed out, the physical ergonomic characteristics of the cables used on certain components is a very important consideration

i would add this video as well worth a watch... in general, and as it pertains to the op's query

https://youtu.be/4G_mhAbSs8M