Cost effective power cables recommendations, low and high power

I recently watched a number of informative videos about AC cables for our systems. One by the Dutchman Hans Beekhuysen (sp?) was really very good and explained why they matter, even with so many miles of cheapo cable bringing power into our homes, it seems to be all about reducing and rejecting stray interference from a lot of juice passing through the cables to our componenets, and the effect this might have on nearby interconnects and so on.

So I thought I would ask for recommendations from users here on what power cables you use for amplifiers (higher power consumption) and other components like digital stuff or preamps and so on, what are you happy with and that seems to make a difference big or small.

I am not about to spend thousands (or even many hundreds) for power cables, so hopefully something in what we mere mortals who work hard to earn our money can typically afford. Well shielded, properly twisted and insulated cable that does the job well, without typical marketing bull or obscene prices and markups please!

troidelover1499

Showing 4 responses by troidelover1499

Thank you all for the responses thus far. Just so I am crystal clear, I am not wanting to debate the benefit of power cables, I am asking users here what they have used that they have found cost effective and satisfying in their systems.

Sure, I will check out that other thread on counterfeits to see what was recommended.  Cool.

I am not meaning to start another food fight, there is nothing gained doing that.  I am just gonna buy some upgrade cables so I’m just polling the crew here.

@ghdprentice

You asked about my system. Presently I have Epos M22 (their top of the line floor stander from their heyday, had these forever and in my room they just work for me) and a Rel Storm 3 sub.

http://www.hifi-review.com/152915-epos-m22i.html

Amplifier is Naim Super Nait 2 with their flat cap and superline phono stage.  I moved away from tubes several years back, had Music Reference amp for many years.  Turntable is a Rega Planar 6 with Ania. Streamer is Innuos Zen Mini feeding a Schiit Gungir multibit. This digital set up was a recent acquisition, much improved over my Node 2i I had before that.

I appreciate the advice to try more expensive power cables in addition to cheaper ones, on a return and refund basis. So I will need to figure out which ones to try. Zafino seems to have a pretty heavy restocking fee, on a cheap cable its no biggie but if I am trying a $800-1000 cable as you guys suggest I don’t really want to pay $150 just for a trial if it isn’t an improvement.

Even doing it this way, if the cheaper cable didn’t improve things, and neither did the expensive one, well then the comeback is hey there you didn’t pick right expensive cable!!! So that’s why I am trying to poll the good folks here which brands they have really have good luck with. Seems like ones that may be worth trying are older Shunyata Venom or Synergistic Master Coupler, if I can pick em up used then just resell if they don’t sound better.

Let me ask another question. For the main amp, it is pretty heavy so a thick stiff cord is workable but for smaller items like phono stage or DAC they are smaller lighter units, they will work much better with a pretty flexible lighter AC cable. Would appreciate suggestions for good sounding lighter gauge cords please.

As I understand it, shielding is pretty darned important, so perhaps making a really good sounding lighter flexible cord is actually more challenging than a big thick one.

I know that some makers do purposefully like to market their cords as mega thick pythons and give customers a sense they are getting something substantial, play with the buyer psychology some. But I think for my use with source components lighter and more flexible will be better, sound of the cable aside.