Anyone Still Using Zerodust

Haven’t heard anything since the original scare, but I stopped using it. I think I never had a problem because I always swipe with LP#9 between sides, as per Brooks Berdan’s advice. One recent video said Wally discovered some type of oil on the ZD. I regularly cleaned mine with dishwashing liquid, which could have removed any residue. 

chayro

I don’t see much mention of anyone using Stylast stylus cleanser, with its very soft brush. . . 

I have it - its a decent cleaner, better than gel dips, but I still prefer Magic Eraser.

@mulveling 

What is the precise process by which you use the Magic Eraser?  Do you just drop the stylus onto the surface of the sponge, and then lift? 

@mulveling

What is the precise process by which you use the Magic Eraser? Do you just drop the stylus onto the surface of the sponge, and then lift?

I’m sure many won’t have the appetite for my "rotational scrub":

• ME should be cut into ~1.5 inch long wedge or rectangle, ~3 mm thick
  • Place on platter, and carefully lower stylus into a "near" corner (position bulk of piece further away from stylus). Optionally pre-wet this corner with a drop or 2 of water.
  • While stylus remains dipped, use a single finger to gently push long & far side of the piece so that it rotates around the stylus, with stylus acting as the pivot point (rotational scrub). Alternate direction back & forth a few times.
  • Quick hit with the dry brush, in case any ME fibers came off.

A simple dip & lift alone works OK (much better than Onzow), but the ME can give much more cleaning power if you’re willing to use it. Being wet also improves its cleaning power. The key here is - I trust my hands and the forces I subject the stylus to. I’ve used this for 3 years on my Koetsu Blue Lace, among other high-end MC cartridges. No issues here, just very clean styli. The stylus shank keeps cleaner and clearer over time with this method than any other. No need to do this after every side; that’s what a dry brush is for. I’ll use this method once every session or 2.

. . . uses a specialized xacto knife to scrape hardened ‘gunk’ off a used diamond stylus (under high magnification) to bring back to life when possible.

Been there, done that. Was informed in both cases that (extensive) use of a stylus preservative was used. Simple cleaning with brushing would not remove the white crust that had buried the stylus. 

Post removed