The Beatles Revolver

Just read where Giles Martin is using  AI-powered audio separation technology to remix Revolver. From what I read he can take the mono tracks and separate all the instruments and vocals on the 4 track tape the were recorded on and then I guess remix them in 24 track or whatever he wants. Is this good? I love The Beatles and no matter how much better it my sound it not the same. They had what they had in 1966. And George Martin did wonders with 4 tracks. Where does this reissuing of classic albums stop. Is Revolver remixed in multi tracks still Revolver?

128x128lenmc2964

My take? If I like how it sounds, thumbs up. If I don't like it, in the bin. 

The remix of Taxman from Revolver is available on Spotify.  It sounded pretty good!

Check out the Beatles Love LP.  I think Giles was involved in that and the SQ is great.  It is a total re-engineering of the originals, but I like the fresh take.

It reminds me of the Kinks. Ray Davies always said he hated stereo and did not know how to use it. 

At the time of Revolver and before (and maybe even after) the Beatles mostly left the mixing to others.

Even though I listened to the original stereo mixes for years, I mostly love Giles' remixes of the 1967-1968 material, and I bet the Beatles would, too.  He does things like separating instruments or voices that were originally mixed together so you can hear the timbre and lines of each more clearly, and it adds power to a song like "Birthday" when the guitars are hard panned rather than sharing the same channel.

I forget about audiophile notions of hearing musicians in a space when I listen to most rock music from this period.  I just accept that the mix is a work of art in itself. However, I don't like it when a drum set is panned unrealistically wide--a problem even in newer jazz recordings as well as classic rock recordings.