Jay’s Audio CDT3-MK3 wins over Aurender W20SE

In search for digital perfection I’ve continuously upgraded my streamer to find Qobuz nirvana. The streamer’s only competition has been my Audiolab 6000CDT which clearly outperformed any Chord 2go/2yu and the Volumio Primo middle grade streamer. Only after buying the flagship Aurender W20SE did my streamer blow the CD transport out of the water, like burn every CD never going back. But studying hi end CD transports I decided on the Jay’s Audio CDT3-MK3 and it has been a revelation. It’s like I’ve never heard a cd before. It so outperforms the W20SE in detail clarity depth richness of tone it’s astonishing. IMHO CD with a hi-end CD transport is far far better than the absolute best streamer in the world. The W20SE is not going up for sale but will be getting much less use from now on.

I’d be interested in the community’s thoughts about CD vs Streaming.

128x128brandonhifi

@dinov 

You can rip SACD’s. You need either a Play Station 3 or one of a few older Sony CD players and some Linux software. I’ve done it on the few SACD’s that I own and it sounds great.

@dinov 

I used a SACD ripping service. The guy that I used is no longer doing it though. You can probably find someone fairly close to you if you google it.  

@brandonhifi What you may be experiencing is also inherent to the W20SE’s design. Its battery power supply is more smooth and refined and can come across as less exciting and less resolving. I don’t have one on the floor, but if you ever want to bring your W20SE to compare to my N30SA, we could have some fun. I’m just over in Minnetonka. 

Just try a Grimm MU1 for streaming. You’ll be shocked at how good it is for streaming, and not too fussy about the quality of the Ethernet feed. Make sure you use a good coax or aes/ebu output cable though. This has bested EmmLabs and Jays transports in my system, top tier Innuos, Melco and even Tidal Arkas streamers in my system. No need for separate upscalers either, it does it all.

IMO and experience to-date, the transport has sounded better to my ears than any streaming device.  Have not heard the all but have heard more than most.  That being said, the DAC also had a bigger impact on the sound meaning that a reference DAC on one or the other would tip the scales in one direction or the other.

Happy Listening.