Time/Process of Hooking up New Equipment

Does anyone else ever felt this way?  My new amp arrived with cables and I want to wait until the weekend to hook it up.  I don't want to rush through it after work when it is dark and I am tired - almost rushing to get through it.  I want to make it a longer event and have time to listen to my existing system, then do the work to hook it up (a bit of a pain) and then rest and have time to listen to the new amp.  Maybe stretch out the fun and be fresh on a Saturday morning.  What is everyone's timing / process for installing new gear and the before and after listening?  

12many

I am the opposite. I will find a way to have the new component operational in record time… minutes preferred… or an hour.

Putting a new component in your system is more like having it shipped. There is so much more time needed to actually hear it. So, putting it in my system is only the beginning of the seemingly endless break in process. It is of little significance. Having a new component with 1,000 hours on it… now you have it. That is what it will sound like.

If it sounds great out of the box it is great… but I know it will be at least a week until I can begin to start hearing what it will actually sound like…assuming it is solid state and I can run it 24 x 7. If tubed… OMG… a month or two months to get it stable and start hearing it.

@ghdprentice +1 Never put off something you can do today!  I may not be the same day I have a long listening session - but it's getting installed as soon as convenient.

I think my dog appreciates hearing it right away as well.

Yes, I usually do the same.  I recently replaced my Rogue Audio RP-1 preamp with the RP-7.  I had spent the better part of two weeks auditioning both the RP-7 and the Backert Rhumba 1.3, and I ended up preferring the RP-7 by a “smidge.”  In my hearing, a wider soundstage, and I preferred the tonal qualities of the Rogue, although I must admit that the Backert had, again—in my hearing, a “smidge” better definition.

So, I was not in a hurry to “install” the RP-7 in our system.  I am a disabled veteran, and I was tired the evening after the 60-mile round trip to return the demo units and pick up my new unit, so I waited until the next morning when I was fresh and had more energy.  I have open rack/stand system—not a closed cabinet—so it was fairly easy to hook up the XLR cables from my DAC to the preamp and the preamp to my Benchmark AHB2 power amplifier.  I did run into one glitch: I turned on the “master” power switch on the back of the RP-7 and, after a minute or so, I turned on the front power switch.  This resulted in the display showing some combination of what appeared to have been Roman, Cyrillic, and some unrecognizable text.  A call to Rogue immediately solved my problem—turn on the “master” power switch on the rear of the unit and then wait about 5-10 minutes to turn on the power to allow the unit to properly go through its start up cycle.  I did so, and it worked just fine, with the appropriate text on the display.  Had I tried to set it up the previous evening, the guys at Rogue would have left for the day, and I would have been left annoyed and frustrated.

Patience, after all, really is a virtue.  Even in relatively simple tasks.