High Sensitivity Speakers that work best with SS

In general, most all "high sensitivity" speakers I have heard or read about seem to do best with tube amps. Is that pretty much always the case? Anyone have experience with any "high sensitivity" speakers that in general work or sound better with SS amps than tube amps ?
128x128mapman
01-18-13: Atmasphere
If you are using Voltage Paradigm design rules, it may well be that the speaker's crossover points will not work properly with all tube amps even though the speaker has a flat impedance curve. From what I've seen/heard of the Daedalus though I don't think that it is any concern in that regard.
Good point, Ralph. Agreed on all counts.
I suspect that the Daedalus efficiency is less than the 98 db figure stated.
That's a possibility, as far as I am aware, as the only numbers I have seen are the published specs. FWIW, I can say that my Ulysses and my 65 watt amp show no signs at all of approaching their limits while producing 105 db peaks at my 12 foot listening distance. Although that of course does not rule out the possibility that they might be a few db shy of the specified number.

Best regards,
-- Al
I think I've read the tekton speakers prefer high watt solid state, despite their high sensitivity ratings.
Gopher, I wonder what it is about Tektons that would account for a better mating with a SS amp? Voicing perhaps in some way?

First Watt amps are a special case in my mind in that they are designed around being lower power. That means high efficiency speakers for best results no doubt. Most SS amps are not designed to care much about speaker efficiency. The better, more expensive ones tend to be higher power as well opening up more options for less efficient speakers. WIth tube amps, power tends to be lower and more expensive to own per watt I would say and high efficiency speakers are of course then their natural mates.

It does not make much sense to me to consider what well designed amp A sounds like compared to well designed amp B. There is no sound without adding speakers (and source as well). Only then can results be judged. That's like trying to judge two different chicken soup recipes without including all the other seasonings that go into it.

I would say though that a flat impedance curve is appealing on paper at least in order to start out with a level playing field. Of course, one will still not know what really works or sounds best to them until they try different things, so maybe not much practical advantage or difference there for most.

With speakers that require higher power solid state amps, the strategy that has been re-affirmed repeatedly for me over the years to work best is to not risk cutting corners in terms of power rating of amps used. In most cases like this for most owners of "audiophile" grade speakers in most rooms, I do not think anyone should regret using 200w/ch or more amps as an insurance policy against clipping or other distortion artifacts that might be introduced when an amp is not 100% + up to the task being asked. Newer higher efficiency solid state amp designs are the ticket here IMHO. In terms of overall efficiency, and ability to deliver better sound, higher efficiency amps help equal the playing field for less efficient speakers to be able to keep up with their more efficient cousins. Throwing a 250w/ch Class D amp at a pair of inefficient speakers that might benefit from it is not a big stretch these days for most "audiophiles". Its one way that advances in technology continue to change the playing field IMHO.
I think it worth repeating; that is easier to achieve a flatter impedance curve with less efficient speakers than with more efficient speakers.
I suspect the biggest concern for matching ss amps with speakers that are typically used with tubes, is appropriate damping for the speakers being considered.
With all that said, it's probably easier to match ss amplification than tube amplification to most speakers.
It's a hobby and if you want to play around with different things, I get it, but I still stand by the idea that it is wiser to choose speakers first, and then getting whatever amps work best with them, not the other way around.
JBL L-300 is a high efficiency speaker that works well with all types of amplifiers. It works with low and high powered solid state and I also used the L-300 with a 14 watt SET amplifier (Mastersound) with excellent results. There are several efficient speakers from the 1970s that work well with solid state amplifiers also. One in particular is the Pioneer CS-99A. Another speaker for tubes or solid state is Electro Voice Wolverine 2 way with 12" woofer.