New Marantz SA11S2?

Can someone please describe the new Marantz SA11S2 sound for me? In general terms, is it smooth, detailed, dynamic, soft, transparent, slightly veiled, impactful bass, slightly rounded bass, great treble extension or slightly rolled? Warm robust midrange, lean mids, fairly neutral to dry?

Thank you
rc5al
i guess i have not

hi samzsx:

tyhe western electric cords were fabricated about 6 weeks ago. i have no other information about these cords other than the iec and plug which contain copper.

here's an interesting situation:

granted the preamp and amp attenuate the treble and granted the foam and room tunes also attenuate the treble, what might explain my perception of thinness regarding the marantz player.

incidentally my friend has auditioned 2 marantz players, and his system consists of a cary tube preamp, classe ss amp and wood walls. he sold both players, one was the marantz sa11s2.

so, it would seem that one man's smoothness is another man's brighhtness.

we'll agree to disagree.

it's like zeverything else in life which is subjective.
4musica, I'm sure you enjoy the fine sound from the Ayre, but do you like having paid $6,000 for a cheap, flimsy drive that they provide? A friend has one, and I couldn't believe using a $25 transport in a $6,000 machine. Things like that I find totally unforgiveable and so typical of the greed the designers who think they are so special they can make the maximum money with cutting corners. It is to Marantz' credit that they provide a top notch transport. You should use the Marantz as a transport connected to the Ayre, and that should open your eyes.
Zear - I agree that the drive on the Ayre is relatively chip and flimsy, but I still love the sound the Ayre provides! And I got that unit at a very good discount and even was able to trade in another CD player on the deal. So $-wise I came out nicely.

You have made an interesting suggestion about using the Marantz as a transport for the Ayre. It is not a gear change that I can permanently accomodate, but I will eventually do what you have suggested. Thank you for the idea!
That is one of the big reasons I bought the Marantz was for the transport mechanism. It still sounds great without a d/a converter and you can also use an outboard clock if you so wish. It is a great player that is very versatile. Some may not like it, so be it, we each have our own likes and dislikes.
Yeah, Marantz fans, let's unite! It is hard not to fall in love with these works of arts, made in JAPAN, where the quality level of materials and finish is unmatched.

You get so much in this piece...quality, gorgeous construction, features missing from so many expensive pieces, and then the transport that should shame most other companies. No piece is completely perfect in all areas of musical reproduction, and I'm certainly not saying the Marantz is. But it is very good sounding, and just an all around great unit.