Best 12AU7 Type Tubes for a Preamp

I am hoping for some help finding good quality and good sounding 12AU7 variant tubes for a preamp – I need two tubes. A price of around $100 each or less would be great but I would pay a bit more (150 ea.) for something that is likely to sound better. The unit came with JAN PHILIPS ECC82 (12AU7/5963) and I also own a pair of reissue/new Mullard ECC92 tubes. Both sets are quiet but I am wondering if there is something even better sounding at a moderate price.

Readily available NOS options I have seen include:

• NOS RCA Blackplate or Clear Top at about $100-150 EA.
  • Amprex 7316/ECC186 at around $150 each, and
  • Mullard CV4003/12AU7 $150ea.

New options I have found (in addition to Mullard) include (among others):

• Genalex - Gold Lion B749 / ECC82/12AU7, $70 ea.
  • Psvane 12AU7-S Art Series ECC82, $55 ea.

Thanks for any help.

mitch2

Thanks all - you have offered some really good thoughts and suggestions for me to consider, and thanks @dekay, the linked thread did have interesting and useful information.  

I live about an hour from Andy Bouwman • VINTAGE TUBE SERVICES, and I can get up there almost any time I want for my work so there would be no need to ship tubes.  I purchased from him long ago so I know how meticulous he is, which means higher prices, longer lead times, but almost surely a more successful result than dealing with mass market type sellers.  Since I only need two tubes, I plan to call him on Tuesday when he is next open and then purchase whatever he recommends.  As a bonus, there is some really good mountain biking very close to his shop!

As a last thought, this thread has reminded me of what a helpful, friendly community we have here - thanks again.

@mitch2  - Below is the link to Brent Jessee's website page for 12AU7's he gives impressions of the sound of different NOS 12AU7s which may help you match the tubes with the sound signature you prefer

https://www.audiotubes.com/12au7.htm

This thread got me thinking about a pair of Viking RP61 tube preamps that was given to me from an estate some 20 years ago. Also included was a McIntosh MC240 amp and a MC20 preamp. I was given a nice Kennedy tool box with quality tools in it too so the fellow had good taste to say the least.

Anyway...the Viking`s were stuffed away until a couple years ago. I finally opened them up and ended up with a pair of Amperex Bugle Boys 12AU7 made in Holland with D7H printed on each of them.

I`m thinking I`ll bring them with me when I visit my daughter and son in law to try in their Rogue Sphinx II. Might be interesting to see what kind of change they make to the sound.

Psvane, fake gold Lion - out not even close Siemens ,Telefinken, Amperex,

Mazda, depending what your looking for in character, All pre 1970 for sure 

50s Sylvania, earlyRCA  , Phillips owned Amperex,and Mullard warmer nature 

Blackburn Mullard , lots of choices, Brent Jesse gives you 30 days to voice in your system and you can get 2-3 year warranty for extra $$.

Mitch,

Definitely NOS only, nothing newer is even close…..70s &  80s, can be very very  good, 50s and 60s can be magical…..though with some tubes dating can be difficult.

I’ll find my notes and repost in next couple of days. I went through a manic phase and have tested at least 30 types (I think I still have 40+ pairs?), I also I had an amazingly thorough link I’ll try to find if I can