Best 12AU7 Type Tubes for a Preamp

I am hoping for some help finding good quality and good sounding 12AU7 variant tubes for a preamp – I need two tubes. A price of around $100 each or less would be great but I would pay a bit more (150 ea.) for something that is likely to sound better. The unit came with JAN PHILIPS ECC82 (12AU7/5963) and I also own a pair of reissue/new Mullard ECC92 tubes. Both sets are quiet but I am wondering if there is something even better sounding at a moderate price.

Readily available NOS options I have seen include:

• NOS RCA Blackplate or Clear Top at about $100-150 EA.
  • Amprex 7316/ECC186 at around $150 each, and
  • Mullard CV4003/12AU7 $150ea.

New options I have found (in addition to Mullard) include (among others):

• Genalex - Gold Lion B749 / ECC82/12AU7, $70 ea.
  • Psvane 12AU7-S Art Series ECC82, $55 ea.

Thanks for any help.

mitch2

It's really circuit dependent how a tube will sound.  While asking for others' advice is a good starting point, this is something that you will have to experiment with first hand.  Buy a bunch of tubes and switch them in and out.  You may have a strong preference, or you may not.  Sell the ones you don't use.  Brent Jessee is my go to tube guy.

RCA clear tops and new issue Mullards sound good and have worked well for me.  

If you really can get the Amperex from a reputable source for the price you list, buy them at once!

In the world of new-production, Psvane outperforms Mullard and Genelex Gold Lion (I've tried all three).

Thank you everyone. The unit is (not actually but sort of) a preamp.  I have owned a lot of tubed preamps in the past and didn't think I would again but when I purchased Hattor's The Big Preamp to run in passive mode so I could have remote volume control and a display, I took a chance and also purchased their Hattor Tube Active Stage, which uses two 12AU7 tubes.  IMO, the unit sounds way better than it should for what it costs, and good enough that I am seriously considering keeping it in my main system.  The gain from my unit is +6dB.  FWIW, the Big Preamp can be run in passive mode, passive with the Tube Active Stage, or through its own internal NewClassD opamp output stage at a selectable  +3/6/9 dB gain.  The opamp output stage also sounds quite good.

Back to tubes, I like the idea of not having to rely on NOS tubes but wasn't sure if the Psvane or Genelex Gold Lion were even in the same league as the NOS offerings.  Back when I was using tubes in preamps years ago, it seemed everyone was after NOS 6922 tubes and the 12Au7/AX7 varieties were relatively inexpensive.  Times have changed.  Things sound good now, so I may just try the Psvane tubes and call it good, but I will also look hard at some of the reputable NOS tube sellers and see what I can come up with.