GoldenEar Triton Reference for a large room...

Hi All:

i'm moving into an apartment with a large living room and am considering the GoldenEar Triton Reference speakers.

the issue with the large room (34 ft x 24 ft) is that there is a connected dining room nearby, and it is essentially open to each other, no doors, merely separated by one fireplace, so the bass will "leak" over to the dining room.  furthermore, the dining room has a wide hallway that leads to the kitchen, and there is also no doorway separating the dining room and the kitchen.

with all these connected spaces, my concern is that the bass would be lost or somehow discounted to a degree.  with that in mind, i am thinking of getting the References rather than the GoldenEar 1.R model, as the References have more robust bass drivers.

may i please ask the good folks here for thoughts, ideas, comments?

thank you in advance.

dualmonitors

@gimmeroc:  thanks for your comment.

this is the very first opinion that i've ever read that the References have fatiguing highs!

may i ask if anyone else found either the 1.R or the References to be fatiguing as well please?  

i ask about those two models because they share the same tweeters with the higher gauss magnets.

other models as well: are the other models' tweeters fatiguing too?

haven't heard about fatiguing highs till now!

When I auditioned my T1r’s they were hooked up to a Prima Luna Integrated with CD’s and there was no fatigue in the 2 hours I was there and they surprised me for how good they were. I bought them. I use a VAC Renaissance 70/70 tube amp to drive them and it works wonderful. I got your message but when I tried to reply AG said it was against some rules and were reporting me-WTH? What I suggested is you call Upscale Audio and talk to them, they are the distributor for GE and you can ask them about all your concerns and if they will work with your amp. My dedicated listening room is 14' x 18' with 6.5' ceilings. (Basement) so the T1r's are plenty and I didn't want to get too close to the ceiling with taller speakers.

Focal Sopras would work well and if your budget allows Rockport Avior ii or Atria ii would be a must audition. Good luck! 

@dualmonitors,

I have owned the GE Triton Refs since they first came out in 2017. I have never ever had any problems with the speakers. I have also owned (no longer have) the Triton One and Triton Twos. My Triton Refs are in my 16 by 18 foot living room with 12 foot ceilings and they are set up on the long wall toed in a bit. I sit about 10 feet away.

There is no need to worry about too much bass, as the level control on the back of the speaker will help compensate. My control is set around 10 O clock, bass is “to die” for. I have never hears bright treble from the speakers, if they were bright, I would never have bought them. I used a Odyssey Stratos 150wpc amp in the beginning, tried a CJ MF2550, and for 1 1/2 years used a McIntosh MC152 150wpc amp and finally bought a McIntosh MC 302 300wpc amp which is my final amp. All the amps sounded great with the speakers except the CJ MF2550. It just didn’t seem to gel with the speakers.

If you have questions, send me a PM and we can discuss further.