Herbie’s Spike Decoupling Gliders: my…experience

So my Herbie’s gliders (giant, titanium) arrived to put under my 180 pound B&W 802 D2’s.

I immediately rushed to install them, alone (yes wait for it..) to see what kind of difference they can make.

I also adjusted my spikes so I had the speakers on their side to do what I needed to do. I righted the speakers again, on my own no sweat (just a hernia).

Rocked the speaker up and inserted the Herbie’s gliders, no problem. Except, ONE of the spikes popped out of the indentation in the glider and was resting in the top of the glider - and the 180 pound speaker toppled! I yelled “NONONONO…” I think I managed to yell about 7 No’s in the time the speaker took to topple.

Amazingly, it landed on three massive 8” thick extra firm camping mat that just happened to be there from when I had the speakers on their sides to adjust the spikes. By some miracle neither my speaker, my floor, and my body were damaged due to my stupidity fueled by impatience!

To further my stupidity, I proceeded to reinstall the Herbie’s under the speaker, on my own again. Yes, I did that. But this time I was successful, against all odds. What could I do, the family was asleep!

After this success, my senses came to me and I decided to wait to install the gliders under the second speaker.

This gave me a unique opportunity to test the difference in sound between my left speaker sans Herbie’s, and my right speaker with Herbie’s. The difference was not small. The Herbified speaker sounded more immediate, open, confident and clear. Albeit with a tad less “tangible” bass. While the non-Herbified speaker had more of that tangible bass, the bass was muddier. And the rest of the range was also muddier and less immediate. Listening like this was totally weird, it was like the cables were out of phase or something.

In the morning I sheepishly told my wife what happened and she helped my Herbify my left speaker in like less than a minute. I was greeted with a far more confident mid and upper presentation, which was more detailed, more solid, more open, and the soundstage was wider and more solid. All with a tad less bass but the trade seems easily worth it. I can see why some people claim that vibration control products impact tonal balance. But I’m not sure if it really is this or not - it may simply be that a degree of muddiness is removed and the tones just come through better as a result (with less bass “mud”).

I don’t have any experience with similar products (isoacoustics, Townshend, etc) so I don’t know how they compare. But I’m quite amazed and happy with the difference these make. They should come with a warning though! (Against being stupid that is)…. On a serious note, it’s easy to underestimate how unsteady your speakers can become with a single footing at a slightly different height than the others.

I do wonder about the physics of what is happening.  With decoupling products that is, I do comprehend why my speaker toppled. You use spikes to couple the speaker cabinet to the floor so it becomes fixed, to improve performance. So why in the world would undoing this with a decoupling device improve things further? I don’t get it. I noticed less bass. Maybe the flex reduces the speaker’s ability to produce as much bass, reducing vibrations in the cabinet and allowing mid and upper frequencies to shine more? Taking that logic to an extreme, would the ultimate decoupling device be suspending your speakers from the ceiling? Totally uninformed theory…

nyev

@cd318 , thanks for that, and yes that makes a lot of sense. I think it’s a function of just having become used to the bump in the low frequency bloat (which was mild), and it’s just gone now. The overall tone remains balanced and pleasing (thanks to my Gryphon Diablo 300 and it’s warmish leaning DAC module), and I think I may just need to get used to not having that slight bump in the frequency response which was not natural anyways…. Sounds like that other poster I referenced found a way to reintroduce the bass bloat to his liking after installing Herbie’s, by removing his room treatment.

I might play with sliding my speakers a bit closer to the back wall just to see. My system is in an open room so there are no corners close by adding bass resonance.

I noticed similar reactions when I installed the GAIA II footers under my speakers.  Everything seemed better except the bass, there was definitely less of it.  After listening for a week, i kicked up the bass level on my GE speakers a smidge (back of speakers has a level control for the powered woofers).  That brought the bass back and I love the presentation with the GAIA footers.

I  found Herbie's  small gliders took a little while to break in, a couple of weeks at least with quite a harsh effect on high piano notes, most noticeable with an electric piano which faded in time.

I’ve had brass and titanium break in on different speakers and tried both on a third once broken in and there was no further harshness with broken in gliders even under a heavier speaker. The titanium ones are worth the extra I think.

They make precise positioning very easy and rotating the glider can indicate the pressure on it, handy when trying to equalise the weight through each spike when there’s more than three.

@yeti42 , yep I read about your experiences with that in your other post before I made the purchase. Your post stood out as I think it’s the only example I found where there was something negative said about Herbie’s gliders (at least initially).

I can’t fathom how breakin is a factor however. But I know enough not to assume anything in this hobby, and I have enough experience to know that common sense is not applicable to HiFi.

Based on my net positive results overall, I am going to Herbify the rest of my gear. Planning on asking them which of their products would be best for each component.

My Innuos digital boxes (media server/streamer, network isolator, and USB reclocker) all have quite sophisticated plastic feet already, with soft rubber and an internal spring/dampener. And to replace them you have to do so internally inside the chassis, under the circuit boards. So maybe just the Herbie “dots” underneath those.

Also looking to put something under my entire wooden shelf that holds my gear.  Shelf is probably 400 lbs or so with the gear on it though.

Decoupling seems to reduce vibration feeding back into the system components which reduces microphonics and it seems our systems have gotten good enough that microphonics affects the electronic performance in an a way that we can now here. Spiking feeds vibration back into our gear. At least this appears to be the latest thought and with good evidence it is at least significant in a good system.