Why don't we tire of music?

So, there’s a lot of smart folk’s on this site, and I’ve been wondering why people never grow tired of listening to music. For example, we don’t read the same book over and over, nor do we watch the same TV show or movie over and over.  But, we never get tired of listening to the same music.  Why is this?  What is it in our mentally that allows this to happen?  Just curious...  Thanks!

quincy

Think about it!

Aren't we all the happiest, when we're doing things that have no purpose, but to make us happy?

This treatise* (at about 00:08:30), speaks of music's purposelessness, but few will grasp that, without listening to what precedes.

Please, keep in mind: Watts died in 1973, SO: though some of what he says is still apropos to what's currently going down; this is in no way an attempt to politicize this thread.

*https://rumble.com/v1iidpl-the-benefit-of-living-with-no-purpose-alan-watts.html

ps: I wouldn't base any of my doctrine, on what's proffered toward the end, either.

Happy listening!

People tire eventually if too much of most anything.   Perhaps not money.  

mapman,

Good point. I suffer from some form of greed myself. It is the buying reflex to having something that I don't really need. The internet promotes this by some exponential factor. Used to be that you might actually have to walk to the store and then decide if what oyu couldn't live without could be carried back home. It was that pause of reality or beginning of it that changed your mind after. Maybe there is a bargain in the next isle.

I have old favorites, and I also like to explore newer recordings.

What I have stopped doing is acquiring multiple versions of a classic recording.  No more lp-CD-enhanced CD-SACD-Blu Ray-deluxe lp of the same record.