Power cords or power conditioner

I’m at a cross roads and I’m looking for some advice from those have have gone down this road. I recently added a 2 channel integrated amplifier to improve my 2 channel performance. I had been using my Datasat LS-10 for music and while it sounded really nice, it was missing the depth and clarity that I know my speakers are capable of. My speakers are KEF Reference 3s, rest of my 2 channel set is is as follows:

Luxman L 509x

Luxman D-03x

Roon Nucleus Plus

Lumin U2 Mini

Transparent Audio Super speaker cables

Nordorst Red Dawn XLR, Blue Heaven USB

Wire World Platinum USB

All power cables are DYI using Oyaide Tsunami V2 cable

So what I feel I am missing is that 3D holographic sound stage. It was there with the Luxman 509 when I demo’d it, but I am unable to get that experience at my house. I feel that majority of equipment is up to the task but I am curious if I should ad a top shelf power condtioner like a Shunyata Triton or Torus AVR20 into the system or replace my Intergrated’s power cord with a Shunyata Alpha NC? I’m getting tapped out, so for now it can only be one or the other.

Or should I skip the above and focus on room treatments?

wheelndeal1099

I would start with speaker placement and room acoustics. What’s on the floor between you and the speakers? Place an area rug if you have bare floors. 

Move speakers to be about 4ft from the front wall. That should deepen the soundstage. 

Treat first reflection points at a minimum since you already have bass traps. Diffusion or absorption on first reflection points should help widen the soundstage. 
GIK Acoustics panels work pretty good  

Power conditioner on source components should also help. Depending on how dirty your power is, lowering the noise floor will help the details emerge out of a much quieter background. You have decent power cords but it wouldn’t hurt to experiment. If you’re changing the power cords tackle the amp cord first.

I’ve found higher end Audioquest Storm series high-current power cables on power conditioner and amplifier make a nice improvement in my system.
I’m using AQ Hurricane on power conditioner and Tornado on amp. There are tons of other options you just need to try…after you get your room acoustics squared away. Just my thoughts. Have fun and good luck!

Post removed 

Hello Op

You have a great start to your system but you will find over time you will continue to chase the elusive dream of perfect sound for the rest of your life.  Yes, a good Power Conditioner will help.  I have an Inakustic 3500P.   Yes, a good Power cord will help and so will interconnects.  Even a great fuse will help a lot in your system. 

As others have mentioned speaker placement is important and a no-cost option.  Room treatments are really important depending on your room.  Do you have bass boom or echoing?    

I had the Lumin U-1 mini, D-2, A-1 and X-1 Streamer / DAC's.  As you go up the line each improved my sound dramatically.  Now I have a Lampizator Pacific DAC and Lucas Audio Music Server and my SQ is several notches up.  And if you go to tubes, just changing the tubes can alter the sound.

I have been testing multiple RCA, SPDIF, and USB cables in the last two weeks.  I will play the same songs for hours using different cables.  It is amazing to see how each cable affects the sound.  My next test will be with a few Power Cords.

So in summary, to answer your questions...Yes and Yes.  Everything you do will help improve the sound.  It might not be much but every detail counts.  Enjoy the journey and when your wife asks you is this it...just smile at her and wink.  

If you have dirty/noisy power, than a power conditioner can be great. If you have clean and quiet power, than a power conditioner is most likely a waste of money. A couple of houses ago I had noisy power and I bought an Audience AR-6 and it worked like a charm. A few years later, we moved out to gods country.  A brand new subdivision, new everything  and the power was excellent. I ended up putting the AR-6 back in mostly because of the magnetic circuit breaker.  Now I’m back in the city again and my power is mostly good at night, but it’s all over the place during the day, so the AR-6 is in.

ozzy62

2,458 posts

secretguy

1,023 posts

I have yet to hear a power cord make a difference.

My money is on “you’ve never even tried”…..

You would be wrong. Doubtless, not the first time.