What's going on with the used audio gear market?

OK, maybe I am unrealistic but I've bought and sold audio gear for the past 25 years off and on for my personal use  as I change out or upgrade.  It seems that a reasonable expectation is around 50% of MSRP or somewhere close. That has been what I've always sold for and bought for. Now I see stuff priced at 80-90% of MSRP. I am talking about things that are not really statement products and can be a few years old and they want 80%.  I just don't get it, this stuff for the most part depreciates rather quickly due to the advancement of technology. Is this a hold over from the Covid Inflation effect on supply and demand? I guess that supply and demand will eventually sort it out. 

128x128fthompson251

...@ghasley

"Respectfully" - you are one of those who is poorly educated and do not understand real economics.

Wealth (money) is produced by any individual who "creates" value in the form of a good, or a service, that he personally produces, for which someone else is willing to compensate him. There is no other form of wealth (money). One who does not produce such a good or service - has no wealth (money) - with which to purchase anything. Currency is only a means of exchange of such wealth (money), between a buyer and seller. If currency is produced in excess of the value of all such goods and services produced by such producing individuals - it creates and is INFLATION - because it permits prices to be bid up beyond the supply of goods and services produced!  It’s just that simple.

May I suggest you educate yourself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=milton+friedman+books&rlz=1C1JZAP_enUS986US986&oq=milton+freedman&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j46i10i433j0i10j0i10i131i433j0i10l4j46i10.8696j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

@bassdude

I certainly meant no offense and I apologize if my education doesn’t measure up to your standards. It has, however, served me well thus far.

You were discussing in your post, I believe, your angst with the expansion of the money supply and how it was the cause of inflation. Inflation (outside of an acceptable range) "might" possibly be at least partially due to consumer spending of those excess funds rather than increased savings. Excess demand, especially in an environment where an aspirational purchase is being contemplated, manifests itself into rising prices when the commodity is finite.

When was the last time you were comfortable with the amount of the money supply? At what point in history?

When were prices last “fair” in your estimation? Government policy and dock worker practices? Did you sell your car because you were ready to sell or were you selling to monetize and maximize value? Every human is either a beneficiary or a victim of the effects of inflation. Most of us are beneficiaries provided we understand what is a good store of wealth and what is not.

You certainly aren’t compelled to respond to the questions above although I’m always intellectually curious as to what makes others "tick".

And Milton Friedman is but one opinion, as is yours or mine.

agisthos said "Yes there has been a distinct slowdown in the last month or two. The rush to hoard and accumulate that was peaking 4-6 months ago has abated, for now. Its not just audio, seems to be in all sectors, collectable cars, houses e.t.c"

If Mecum Auctions is any indication of the collectible car market hard to see the slowdown in that segment , a few examples of winning bids from watching a re-run of the Aug 19-20 auction in Monterey - 1971 Plymouth Cuda - $1,000,000; 2017 Ford GT - $925,000; 2 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 469s - $400,000 , and $300,000. Seems rarely that any of the cars at their auctions aren’t purchased , and for significant dollars

ghasley -  the Chicago School of which Milton Friedman was the main voice have been the minority economic theorists since the early fifties.  Remember how FDR was going to ruin the economy?  And the post-war "giveaways" (GI bill, subsidized housing loans, etc) were going to ruin the country.  And how spending after the 2008 recession was too high even after it was cut in half from what was originally proposed .... the recovery was going to be "too fast" and "inflation rampart".  As if John Maynard Keynes never existed, much less the majority of economists who found considerable truth and value in his analysis.

@harrylavo 

It's not only the used audio market that could collapse...but if it does, it's likely to be temporary, and it's likely to recover.

The recovery is usually triggered by an increase in spending as those with capital seek to take advantage of lowered prices and others suffering and misfortune.

Such is the economics of market forces, and the laws of supply and demand.

Economics seems to be so ridiculously complicated with an almost limitless list of variables that hardly anyone seems to understand it.

Let alone make reliable predictions regarding the future.

Most of us can only look at historical patterns and try to make a vague sense of it.

2008 was a big moment for the entire western world.

Anyway, so far, so good - John Maynard Keynes has been the man.

Possibly the only one.