What's going on with the used audio gear market?

OK, maybe I am unrealistic but I've bought and sold audio gear for the past 25 years off and on for my personal use  as I change out or upgrade.  It seems that a reasonable expectation is around 50% of MSRP or somewhere close. That has been what I've always sold for and bought for. Now I see stuff priced at 80-90% of MSRP. I am talking about things that are not really statement products and can be a few years old and they want 80%.  I just don't get it, this stuff for the most part depreciates rather quickly due to the advancement of technology. Is this a hold over from the Covid Inflation effect on supply and demand? I guess that supply and demand will eventually sort it out. 

128x128fthompson251

Showing 1 response by cd318

@harrylavo 

It's not only the used audio market that could collapse...but if it does, it's likely to be temporary, and it's likely to recover.

The recovery is usually triggered by an increase in spending as those with capital seek to take advantage of lowered prices and others suffering and misfortune.

Such is the economics of market forces, and the laws of supply and demand.

Economics seems to be so ridiculously complicated with an almost limitless list of variables that hardly anyone seems to understand it.

Let alone make reliable predictions regarding the future.

Most of us can only look at historical patterns and try to make a vague sense of it.

2008 was a big moment for the entire western world.

Anyway, so far, so good - John Maynard Keynes has been the man.

Possibly the only one.