Planar speaker characteristics

I’m thinkIng of the possible advantages of going planar.  Here’s my situation:
I currently have Triangle Stratos Volante 260 speakers, and I love their sound. The issue with these are that they have poly switches in the crossovers that limit the volume they can achieve.  Rectification of this issue is a long story, I’ll spare everyone the details. Before I acquired these speakers, I briefly owned a pair of Magnepan MMG’s, and was quite impressed with them. Unfortunately, also at the time I didn’t have the amplifier power to drive them to potential, and after all, they are the smallest end of the Magnepan line.  After acquiring the Triangles, I also got a pair of Parasound JC 1’s.  As of right now, I really do love the sound of my system. But the memory of those Magnepan’s kind of haunts me, now that I have the power to drive a pair of the larger models. I’m thinking in the 3 something range. Can someone with Magnepan experience tell me what characteristics they love about their Maggie’s, and also what they don’t. What I love about the Triangles:  midrange detail and musicality, not clinical, but not too warm. The “jump factor” as a reviewer put it in a review of the Signature Deltas.  What I don’t like are the aforementioned volume issues, and that they are fairly lean in bass extension. High quality bass, but not as deep as I’d like. However, and this is an important however, the addition of a subwoofer has effectively solved that issue. What makes The Magnepan sound appealing, and also not?  Not interested in electrostats. Also, please try to stick to the question.  Not really looking for commentary on the Parasound’s. I love them, even as my greener sensibilities and my electric bill don’t. 
Much thanks in advance,

Dave
dprincipato

So, I am NOT the only one whom neglects checking the OP date before adding my two cents!

Hmm, nice to know!

(AS somehow overheard in a crowd, by that "Plato" fella.):

"If we forget where we've been. How shall we know where we are going"?

Me; "Hold-on, I think I still have that receipt".

Don't feel bad, it's never a bad time to talk about the merits of planars.

I got into audio about 5 years ago. It all started with a trip to AudioConnection, a meeting with Johnny Rutan, and posting my first thread here on Agon. In the time since I’ve purchased quite a few speakers.

Here is a list of the ones I’ve owned or auditioned in my home:

Vandersteen 1ci (sold then repurchased again/ still own)
Vandersteen 2ce Sig II
Tekton Electron (non SE)
Paradigm 75F
Kef R11
Spatial M5 Sapphires
HHR Exotic TLS 1 hybrid (Ohm F clone)
Vandersteen Treo Ct (still own)
Wharfedale Diamond 12.2
Klipsch RP600m
Fritz Carbon 7 SE

Most have been enjoyable, save for a few that I just knew right away were not for me.

I recently purchased a set .7’s, again from Johnny. I’m running them with a Belles Aria Signature preamp (awesome bit of gear) and Belles Aria monoblocks (112wpc ea). Source is a Lumin T2 streamer/ DAC. Also have a pair of Rel T5i subwoofers crossed at around 45k.

My room is 13’ x 11’. I’m setup on the short wall with the audio rack located in a small nook off to the side. The speakers are positioned 3 ft. off the front wall and about 2 ft. from the sides. I listen in a somewhat near field configuration and my listening chair is positioned in an equilateral tringle with the speakers.

For me, this is the happiest I’ve been in my audio journey. The Maggie’s are wonderful for all the reasons that have been so articulately expressed above. My listening sessions are longer then they’ve ever been and I’m getting so much enjoyment discovering new music as well as visiting familiar favorites.

If you are on the fence trying to decide if planars are for you; I say go for it. It sucks that they raised their prices this year, but at $1,800 I think these speakers still represent one of the biggest values in audio. I don’t think you necessarily need 5’ from the front wall or mega-watt beefy amps to get good sound from these either.

Now my biggest dilemma is what to do with those Treos? ;)

-Joe

I'm sitting here listening to my Maggies playing a well recorded HDCD and even though I'm totally used to them, they blow me away with soundstage and depth and general richness. Closest thing to live in a home.

Planars are so fast that few subs can keep up. Magnepan also sells small bass panels (DWM) to augment the bass - I use them in my listening room and HT. I'd rather have clean bass and lose the bottom octave than have muddy sound at all frequencies. YMMV