Washington Post article on MoFi vs. Fremer vs. Esposito

Here's a link to a Washington Post article on the recent dustup with MoFi. The comments section (including posts by Michael Fremer) are interesting.

Disclaimer: This is a "public service announcement, a point Im adding since some forum members complained the last article I referenced here was "paywall protected", I'll note that, for those who are non-subscribers, free access to limited numbers of articles is available by registering (trade-off: The Post will deluge you with subscription offers)

kacomess
mijostyn

This will never get to court. As a case this is not worth the time of day because the financial damage done to any one individual is minute. The reward for staging a class action suite would not be worth a law firms time and effort.

The case has already been filed and summons issued to Music Direct. The case (Tuttle, Collman v. Audiophile Music Direct) makes for interesting reading and seeks Class Action status, which seems far fetched to me.

What really hacks most of these folks off is at the end of the day they could not hear the source tapes went from Analog to DSD to Analog to Lathe. For all the videos from these dudes who claim they just know when digital is used apparently they were not able to hear it and only started posting all these "I am personally hurt and feel violated" videos when they were told it was digital.

The process does in fact result in a signal chain that is cut directly from analog electronics into the cutter heads preview and program channels. The DSD256 or DSD64 step is made with an exacting transfer process from the original tape under various supervised conditions. This gives MoFi a good deal of flexibility. 

While they may not have explained the process used as good as they could have, I do not feel they intentionally mislead anyone. Besides, if these experts know and understand all this stuff, then why are the shocked to learn of the process? They're over reactions are a bit disingenuous and attention seeking. 

This tempest in a teapot has no effect on my listening experience. 

I have found almost all of my MoFi LPs - not just these DSD or whatever they are called things - to sound inferior to my carefully cared for original pressings from decades ago. Why? Because the “original master tapes” themselves that MoFi relies on have very likely deteriorated over time during storage.

Those LPs of mine that were not so carefully cared for? The MoFi sounds better than those. That’s a low bar. 

But as a general rule, the MoFi pressings lack depth, staging, detail and dynamic range.

Therefore … yes, I hear the difference between a quality original anolog LP press that is well preserved and a reissue, regardless of whether it is AAA or ADA.   

My two sense. 

@big_greg 

"In my experience, it's been the Japanese SHM SACDs that are on the "bright side".  All of the MFSL SACDs I have are much easier to listen to."

+1