Recommendation on speakers for listening to live music

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on speakers for listening to live music. I have a big collection of live Grateful Dead, phish, jazz, etc.. This is music on cd or vinyl that was recorded live. Are there quality speakers that cater to both live and studio recordings. Would be using McIntosh power amps mc252, mc275 etc.. Thank you very much for any advice.

jazzydrummer

I am a grateful dead fan and I agree that you want the system to have a very clean tight base to reproduce Phil‘s baselines. I just recently replaced my JL audio subs with a swarm sub system. I really like it. Very clean and tight and integrates well with my speakers if you have the room for it, I would consider that. You can Google it.

*Bass

Sorry, someone had to say it........🙄

My Dead/Phish listening rig is Klipsch Forte IV’s and an SVS4000 sub. You really need that sub or subs to feel those Phil Bombs properly. Surprisingly, I enjoy the old JGB recordings best. 

I have the 1.7i and in the passed i had 3.3 with the cello duet and encore pre. Live rock pop is rubish and grateful dead and all kind of this classic rock for get it with the maggies. 

@jazzydrummer 

I get what your trying to put together and agree you answered your own question, JBL (biggest and baddest you can afford).  Google JBL 4350 monitors.  No subs required.

To the posters who think that the Grateful Dead "just" used PA for the sound haven't been to a concert.  There is a very good YT vid on "The Wall of Sound".

Funny I don't see any PA. This is a super high end system.

Lastly, The GD employed the best recording technics they possible could and in fact moved the ball the down court.  Most of the GD live recordings are directly off the sound board.

BTW  Phil Lesh ,bassist, had his own set of amps and speakers for each string on his bass.

Regards,

barts