Comment about SS and Tubes

For the people who have followed by two and only two posts: you know I have all Cary Audio: SLP-05 pre and 805AE mains. I also have the 200.2. I had never used the 200.2 until recently. Front end are Totem Winds and Totem Mani 2 - alternating depending on my mood.

In my first post, several pro SS people recommended I boost my power and go SS. That got me to thinking???

I hefted that big old 200.2 up to my music room and hooked it up to the Balanced outputs of the SLP-05. Kept the RCA outputs going to the 805’s.

I listen to JAZZ so I don’t necessarily need loud. But sometimes I want loud.

Power is good. After a few albums and a bit of streaming I do concede, Power is good. I didn’t realize how good my speakers were until I pushed them. Bass I never knew. And the whole spectrum was astonishing.

On some albums I like the subtle refinement of the tubes. They are awesome to hear. But I am a convert. I do like the watts. My Cary Audio 200.2 is going to get broken in finally,

128x128cinqcepages

@cinqcepages    It is not just a question of watts per channel.  Most will agree it is more importantly a case of having a big reserve of power immediately available to enable correct reproduction of a sudden high level transient, e.g. the hitting of a large bass drum.  The power needs to be there or the moment will be over by the time it arrives.  What is needed is a large and stiff power supply.

Even with such a supply only Class A (one of a number of operating principles for amplifiers) can do this because it runs continuously at full power rather than varying the power supply according to need, as perceived by systems in the amplifier., Some disagree with this and complain about the large amount of heat generated and the high power consumption of Class A amps.  My Krell KRS200 monoblocs draw 1.2kW of power.  Per side.  

You get "sustained" power with BorderPatrol 300b power amps, they have large (EXS) or massive (EXD) heavy external power supply units (PSU’s). Power on reserve is their design philosophy. The brand started by just adding their PSU's to under specified valve amps to give them control and more bass when the music was demanding. Been an advocate for 20+ years. Gary used to be based in the UK but is know in Bristow VA.   

@rodman99999 I did get thinking about bi-amping the wrong way. I wasn't thinking of using subs. But it is a good idea.

I'll get room dimensions, But until then: The room is the size of a decent sized bedroom. Not a master, but a decent secondary bedroom. But then it is a loft as well, so the sound does not stay enclosed It can spread out. And the ceiling is pretty high (maybe 12 feet high). Carpeted floor. 

Well SETs do not suit most speakers.Having speakers with a flatiish 8 -16 ohm impedance is really critical to hearing them at their best.But generally I prefer valve preamps with SS power amps and vice versa.The Cary SLP-05 is a very good sounding preamp but you will also need a SS power amp with the right impedance and gain structure to allow its goodness to come through.Many SS power amps impose too much of their own sound.

@clearthinker 

I am sure you could find it on a sound effects disc. I have never look or experimented with it. I just remember reading about the scissor test over 30 years ago. It was when they were just starting to release main stream home theater systems. I seem to recall it was a test to get Dolby thx certification.