Need recommendations for a streamer

I would like to upgrade from a Bluesound Node to a higher quality streamer.

The Node sounds fine with my current system, but I am making a second system for my wife, and the Node is going to that new system. I thought I would take the opportunity to upgrade my streamer at this time.

My criteria are that it be a streamer only (no DAC/storage/CD player, etc), be able to hook into wi-fi/cloud without a physical wire/connection, have balanced outputs to go to my DAC, and cost less than 2,500 USD. Can anybody think of a streamer that fits this bill?

The rest of my system:

DAC: Terminator II

Preamp: Schiit Freya+

Amps: PS Audio M1200 x 2

Speakers: Thiel CS 2.3

Thanks.

cowhorn

Full disclosure - I’m co-owner and developer of the Network Acoustics Ethernet Filters.

I wanted to add to this thread the result of my experience over many years of trying to achieve the best sound from streaming based systems.

I’ve listened to the following Ethernet delivery methods, which have been mentioned in this thread, all using the same Auralic Aries Femto streamer.

1. Direct wired physical connection via RJ45 from upstream network switch

2. Inbuilt Wireless connection.

3. Ethernet over the mains power-line extenders to the Auralic RJ45 port.

4. Ethernet from a WiFi extender to the Auralic RJ45 port.

5. Media converters, RJ45 to Optical and then Optical back to RJ45 and into the Aries RJ45 port.

To my ears, the order of sound quality was 1., 2., then 3. and 4. were pretty much the same, and the 5. Option 1. is still the way to go if at all possible.

The thing that changes everything though, when using all these options other than built in wireless, is to try to remove the ‘noise’ that Ethernet is infected with.

Option 1. has less noise, whereas the extra devices used in options 3., 4. and 5. Introduce additional noise.

you can reduce noise in all options (except 2.) by having an Ethernet switch (with decent PSU) between the ‘extending device RJ45 output’ and your streamer. The noise can be further reduced by using passive Ethernet filters too.

I’ve found with the correct noise reduction measures in place, options 3. and 4. Can sound very very close to 1. and better than 2.

I’m afraid that I’ve never managed to get option 5. to sound good, but still working on that.

I hope that helps.

@ Malibu457

I had a Node 2i and upgraded to a Lumin U1 Mini and thought it worthwhile. There was an improvement for sure, especially in imaging and sense of air. More subtle than a  DAC upgrade though. The OP already has an excellent DAC, A streamer upgrade will allow him to utilize it’s full potential.

One consideration is how the streamer will access ripped or purchased music files so worth looking into the particulars of that with respect to any given streamer.

The OP wants wireless. The Lumin must have wired ethernet. I did not have easy access to wired ethernet where I have my Lumin but used an TP Powerline extender. This solution works flawlessly and is what a prominent retailer recommends.

Wireless with a mesh network providing a nice strong signal has been as good or better than wired Ethernet for me.

I recently bought a second hand Antipodes EX for £2,000 - they are £4,000 new.

It is a very high end piece of kit and can operate in lots of different ways streamer/server/roon end point.

The EX came out in 2018 so it's still up-to-date tech and ultimately reducing noise and improving timing is what a good server should do.

+1 @andyrowe 

I have 3 systems in my home, so when I went for Bluesound I bought a Vault2 and two Node2.  Both the Vault and one of the Nodes died at separate times during updates.  I have spent many frustrating hours dealing with Bluesound that I won’t recapitulate here.  I ultimately purchased a Melco N100 which has been extremely reliable and sound’s terrific.  Bluesound is a good starting place for streaming for audiophiles that are unsure if streaming will fit their needs but people shouldn’t view it as some kind of audio jewel that will be passed on to their heirs