Basic question about power/watts

Hi everyone - I have a question that I can't seem to wrap my head around.  

I purchased a pair of Magnepans a few months back. Honestly, I do not like them. They have their moments but overall, pffft.

So, related to this, I keep reading from various Maggie owners you need TONS of power to make these things sing rather than squawk. I bought a new amp that is rated at 80 wpc at 4ohms. This, I realize, is low power when I see these guys saying they are running some crazy amount like 600 watts per channel. Here is my actual question:

When you are listening to your speakers at a normal volume, the wattage you are using is not near the POSSIBLE output, correct? My 80 wpc is unbearable with the volume at the 11 o'clock position. Why does a person need or want 600 watts? I suspect I am missing something here. Maybe this has to do with why I dislike my Magnepans. Somebody take a moment to set me straight?

Thanks! 

timintexas

Where the question is proper full-power manly watts, the answer is always Class A.

Class A is like driving your car with your foot flooring the gas pedal, and using the brakes to control the speed. It will work, but do you want to drive that way?

Actually I can think of a few amplifier manufacturers which claim they cant make a good sounding, higher power S.S. amp. I would guess it has something to do with the complexity of the device and the increased number of output devices. This may not be true of the stratospherically prices S.S. amps.

@koestner  No, I don't think so. It's more like damming a river and diverting what you need, and letting the rest flow away.

I’m afraid at a $1000 budget you may be doomed to failure.  Not only because of the amp, but also because you apparently also need a preamp — do not neglect the importance of the preamp.  Your most cost-effective option is probably an integrated amp. 

I know Maggies fairly well and I own a pair of .7s.  I've used a lot of different amps on various set-ups with Maggies. The budget solution is a Musical Fidelity integrated.  A M3si will work but a M5si would be better. Don't let the 85wpc of the M3 scare you away, they have good reserve power. The buy once cry once option is the M5si.