Class D Amplification Announcement

After 60 some odd years of disappointment, Class D has finally arrived. As per The Absolute Sound’s Jonathan Valin, the Borrenson-designed Aavik P-580 amp “is the first Class D amplifier I can recommend without the usual reservations. …the P-580 does not have the usual digital-like upper-mid/lower-treble glare or brick wall-like top-octave cut-off that Class D amps of the past have evinced.”

Past designers of Class D and audiophiles, rejoice; Michael Borrenson has finally realized the potential of Class D.

psag

The rumors of class D arrival have been greatly exaggerated. 

if you’re paying attention  similar claims have been made pretty much every year since 2010  

It may be true that some (maybe most) of the TAS staff do not like to make comparisons when they review equipment.  But still, their conclusions need to pass editorial muster, and I'm sure the editor thoroughly checks out any unsubstantiated claims.

@soix 

You have got to be kidding me. TAS reviews are a joke, mainly because they never put their balls on the line and bother to compare a review sample to anything else. I reviewed for years, and almost without fail when I thought I had a review product nailed down I’d be completely humbled when plugging in something for comparison. Do you know how easy it is to write a review when you don’t have to bother with the accountability of having to make comparisons? Worst of all, 90% of the time I read a TAS review, in the end I still have no idea how the product actually sounds. It’s tough to prove Valin wrong precisely because he (and the rest of the TAS writers) refuse to make comparisons that would provide accountability and a better reference for accuracy. But they’d rather just avoid that. What an Absolute Joke.

and going on what you said there....and if a reviewer was to say anything negative about a piece of equipment they are reviewing, wouldnt that hurt the company that made it as well as the review company ?

@psag You seem to have a belief that editors are the exemplars of truth and virtue who would never allow an untruth to sully their publication. Allow me to introduce you to Piers Morgan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piers_Morgan.