Moving from integrated to separates

So far, I have mostly owned integrated amplifiers. The only time I owned separates was when I had Parasound A21 and Parasound P6. Since then I have bought many integrated amps, and they have all been excellent for the most part. My current amp is the Audio Hungary Qualiton a50i which is by far the best integrated tube amp I have owned. It is a pure class A amp that is surprisingly powerful even though it provides only 50 watts. However, I recently bought new speakers -- Joseph Audio Perspective2 Graphene (which are replacing Harbeth SHL5+). Given the low sensitivity, I was expecting the Qualiton won’t be able to handle the speakers, but I think the rather benign (relatively speaking) impedance of the speakers helps, and to my surprise the amp is driving the speakers quite well. Even the bass is quite tight and punchy a far as tube amps go. To be very honest, I can easily live with this amp for a long time. But what’s the fun in being an audiophile then :)

That being said, I realize that 50 watts are 50 watts. I have a feeling that the Perspective2’s will scale even better with more power. Instead of looking for another integrated, I think I’m ready to give another shot to separates. But what is not negotiable at this time is that I simply won’t move to solid state, not even hybrid. I have tried a few integrated SS amps (last one was Luxman 590AXII), and while most of them were amazing in their own right, I have realized that I am at heart a tube guy. I’m not naive and I certainly understand the negatives associated with tubes (less bass, some loss of dynamics, etc.), but for now I’m looking for an all-tube solution.

So fellow audiogoners, please provide suggestions as you see fit. A few key asks:

1. Both the amp and pre-amp must be tube-based. No hybrids at this time. If you suggest an amplifier please also suggest the accompanying pre-amp that mates well. I’m not very savvy when it comes to matching the components so feel free to educate me :)

2. I’m also open to mono-blocks, but my budget might be a limiting factor. Total budget is $12,000 (for both pieces). To get the most mileage I think I will have to buy used.

3. I’m not a fan of the ’modern’ tube sound. I owned Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II and thought it sounded more like an SS amp at times. However, this does not mean I’m looking for the vintage ’romantic’ sound of the past. My Qualiton a50i is a good example of straddling the fine line between sounding too modern and overly lush or romantic. Something in between is highly desirable.

4. I love my Qualiton a50i and don’t plan on selling it. I’ll move it to my second system. The only reason I want to try out separates is to get more power. I’m thinking at least 100 watts if not more - preferably in class A but not carved in stone. However, more power should not come at the expense of losing the ’magic’ of tubes.

5. I don’t need any built-in phono, DAC, tone controls, etc. in the preamp. But a remote control is a must.

6. And lastly it has to look good. I know, I know ... looks should be secondary to SQ, but what can I say. Maybe I’m vain when it comes to audio.

I really appreciate any recommendations. I know I’m asking for a lot and maybe you guys will tell me that $12K is not enough given the desired attributes. Since I’m buying used I’m prepared to create a short list of maybe 4-5 suggested combinations and buy as and when the components become available in the market. Also, feel free to educate me as to what to look for to create the right synergy between the preamp and amp beyond just the technicalities.

Thank you in advance for your help.

128x128arafiq

The local dealer in my area, Deja Vu Audio, sells only tube amplification.  Their primary line of electronics are Audio Note, Synthesis and Conrad Johnson.  I really like the Audio Note line up, but, their amps are aimed at high efficiency speakers.  The Synthesis line spans both medium and higher wattage tube offerings.  As I mentioned above, I really like their A40 and A100 amps (both well within your price range).  For the various speakers I've heard in comparison, I liked the Synthesis amps more than I do the Conrad Johnson, and the Conrad Johnson 150 watt amp is much more expensive.  Of course it may be a matter of system matching, but, even with somewhat difficult to drive speakers, like some Harbeth models, the Synthesis amps were considerably better to me--more alive and having more "weight" to the sound. 

I know output transformerless amps are a bit harder to match to speakers (they prefer high impedance speakers), but, it would be worthwhile trying to audition Atmasphere amps.  These amps are very dynamic sounding and exciting.   

You do realize that doubling the power will only give you 3 dB more volume? If you are happy with the bass control you now have, you may be moving sideways.

This gets said a lot, but to me 3dB is a whole lot! Find your "optimal" listening level for a session, then add 3dB, or subtract 3dB. It's a lot of difference. 3dB is "not much" for the very casual listener, but for us audiophiles it's another story. Even if you don't need 3dB more volume than your current amps, adding 3dB of clean overhead / margin can help keep the nasty kinds of distortion below audibility. 

@larryi Thanks for the suggestions. From what you're describing about Synthesis, it sounds very similar to the Audio Hungary Qualiton amps -- "more alive and having more weight". Atmasphere is also a good suggestion .. although, I have my doubts about OTL amps being able to control the Perspective2 speakers.

@mulveling I was about to write something very similar to what you just said. In my experience, more power is not always about being able to go louder. It's the extra gas in the tank so to speak, better control, detail retrieval, and an overall sense of ease that more watts and current bring to the table. 

Who knows, at the end of the day I might reach the conclusion that my current amp is the best solution for me. But how do I know if there is "better" unless I'm willing to explore and take some risks along the way.