A Note For LS50 Owners

I have an original pair from 2012. For no particular reason—other than the fact I’m always looking for a good tweak—it occurred to me to check the four bolts on the back that hold the boxes together. 

Sure enough, overly loud listening over the past decade had loosened them. Without applying too much torque, I generally got at least a half turn with an Allen key, sometimes a full turn. 

And the sound? I was blown away by the change. It was black and white, night and day, stop and go. 

Well, not quite. But it was there. A little crisper, a bit cleaner on the transients. I think the speakers played a touch louder at the same power output. Certainly worth the price of admission.  

paul6001

@yyzsantabarbara I have had to make a couple of repairs to my scanspeak drivers.  After the repairs the drivers sound perfect.

This glue is fantastic for gluing surrounds to basket, cone to the surrounds, or just repairing rips in the cone material. Anything speaker.

Speaker Grill Cloth Repair Adhesive, MI-3035. $13 on amazon.

You sound like you want to replace the driver to be able to say they are "perfect".  Make sure the new driver is an exact replacement for the old, sometimes they change drivers subtly, been there made that mistake.

@jetter thanks for the info. I am not going to sell the LS50, I will give it to my nephew in Canada. He is starting university after this final year. I am looking to pair it with the Cambridge Audio Evo 150. A very good starter system for him.

Monitor Audio has seen the value of this for years using one bolt in back to tighten them down.

Tip: Bolts or screws could be tightened with drops of nail polish on the heads so they stay on place firmly. Nail polish unlike glue, easily breakable when you need to unscrew those screws and bolts if necessary.