Are You Happy With Your Phono Preamp?

I have been gradually upgrading my analogue components.  Which presently consist of: SME 20/2 turntable (old but good), Kuzma 4Point Tonearm, Soundsmith Hyperion (MI) cartridge (love this), Dynavector (MC) DRT XV1, PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp (connected to ARC Ref 6, Pass Labs 160.8, Avantgarde Uno).  I have to say that I am very happy with the analogue sound from this system.  That said, high end audio being what it is I can’t help wondering if I am leaving some better sound on the table with the PS Audio phono preamp … though I know I should not judge by price alone.  I have been looking alternative phono stages:  the VTL 6.5i, ARC Reference 3SE, Boulder 508, Pass XP17 … this price range.  Those who are long experienced analogue lovers … do you think I am leaving any sound quality on the table by sticking with the PS Audio phono stage? Do you believe that I would see a meaningful change in sound quality by moving to a phono stage in the price range I have been looking at?

chilli42

Dear @chilli42  : as  ​​​​​​@wolfie62  posted:

Nothing wrong with the PS Audio Stellar phono pre. "

I think that after so many posts only the one for him really makes sense.

Almost all the other gentlemans rthat gave you their advises are in realuity tube lovers and even that they think they are in reality rthey are not true MUSIC lovers but hardware lovers and along that I think that almost all of them not even listen once in their life your really good PS phono stage that's way superior to any of those tube units they " die for ".

No matters what you need to stay away of tubes if you want to be nearer and truer to the recording, your Stellar is a very good system step/link about. You can try to follow in that direction, you can't go wrong. Audio/MUSIC knowledge levels is way more important that those tube electronics that always but today are all way wrong.

I'm not against any of those tube gentlemans owners and I respect all of them, mine is only an opinion just like their opinions.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

I had a ARC PH3SE, nice but gain is high for MM and low for LOMC.  I got a Zesto Andros 1.2, loved it.  Loved it so much I got an Andros Deluxe II.  Dead quiet, great sound and not tubey sounding.  I also have a Zesto Bia 120 power amp so I do like their build and sound.