Joseph Audio Perspective2 vs Harbeth SHL5+

I currently own Harbeth SHL5+ and I’m generally very happy with them. I’m driving them with Audio Hungary a50i tube amp (50 watts class A) and don’t feel that the amp struggles at all. I have an opportunity to buy a used pair of Joseph Audio Perspective2 Graphene in excellent condition. Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare the JA Perspective2 with SHL5+. From what I understand they sound quite different but I’m not sure how. The Perspectives are obviously quite a bit more expensive than the Harbeths but I understand that this doesn’t automatically imply that they are better. Someone told me that the Perspective 2 is more in Harbeth 40.x league instead of SHL5+.

As good as the SHL5+ are, I do sometimes yearn for a wider and deeper soundstage with bigger bass (although I have a pair of REL S/510s to supplement). I would really appreciate if people who have made the move from SHL5+ to JA Perespective2 Graphene, or vice versa, can share their impressions.

Note: My room is 20 x 15 with 12 foot high ceilings. The speakers will be placed along the short wall. I can pull them out by 4 feet from the front wall and about 2 feet from the side walls. My room is treated with GIK panels. My biggest concern is whether my AH Qualiton a50i will be able to drive the Joseph Audios well.

128x128arafiq

Prof, tks.  Guess I won't know until I try. Concern is losing sense of scale with big music in such a large room.  On subs, I've tried many over the years, has never worked for me.  Much prefer a single, full range design.

One of my favorite speakers lately is the Verity Otello. Has anyone compared the Otello (beats the Leonore by a wide margin) to the Joseph?  Another brand I'm really liking is Fyne.

bjesien

I can't speak to the Verity Otello model, but I was fairly familiar with Verity speakers of the past, especially the Verity Audio Parsifal Ovation speakers, which a friend had for quite a while.

My general take on the Verity sound up to that time is that they were a very easy to listen to, smooth speaker, with nice texture for good string tone etc.   They had a sort of automatic "vinyl" tonality to my ear.  So I always found them easy and inviting to listen to.  Also nicely controlled from top to bottom, and did excellent soundstaging.  Plus the design was very room friendly.

In a way I'd say the Verity speakers truck me as almost a 1/2 point between the classic Spendor-like sound, and a more modern speaker.

Still going on memory compared to my current experience with Joseph Audio: for me the Joseph sound is more engaging, more pure in terms of timbre, a bit more clean and clear, a bit less texture than the Verity, but also cast a bigger sound for their size than the equivalent Verity speaker.  (The Parsifal's always disappeared and soundstaged really well, but didn't really sound "big" in terms of instrument and soundstage size, in any surprising way).

Also I find the Joseph speakers with their punchy bass have more fun factor.  The Verity speakers of my experience aren't something I'd leap to put on my Funk or Dance  records.

FWIW...

I would like to hear a newer Verity speaker sometime.  I don't know how much they've updated their sound.

I know it has been a while but my review of the JA Perspective2 speakers was delayed due to several reasons. First, I was traveling quite a bit in the last two 2-3 weeks and didn’t want to share my opinions without having at least 50 hours under my belt. Second, I wanted to put the Harbeth SHL5+ back in the system to compare the speakers properly and as objectively as possible. In the past, I’ve been guilty of sharing my opinion during the so-called 'honeymoon' phase, so this time I wanted to make sure to take my time and be as objective as possible.

Someone mentioned earlier that it was a little unfair to compare the Perspective2s with SHL5+ given the price difference, and suggested that the real comparison should be with Harbeth 40.x. If you consider the retail prices, the Perspective2 sits right between the SHL5+ and 40.x, so I feel it’s not entirely unfair to compare it to SHL5+. Lately, Harbeth is on a mission to price their speakers out of reach of normal folks – I had been whining about how P3esr’s (which in my opinion are one of the best small bookshelf speakers) are no longer competitive given the recent increase in price. Anyways, I digress ... but the truth is that these are the two speakers that I’m able to compare in my home, so whether you like it or not, this is what you’re getting

The very first thing that made me sit up and take notice when playing the Perspectives was the utter lack of grain. The SHL5+ are very accomplished in this aspect, but I feel the Perspectives just take it several notches above and beyond. These speakers are very detailed without being detailed. The best compliment I can give is that music just flows with a coherence and ease that I have never heard before. One thing I love about the SHL5+ is that they have a very involving presentation. They just pull you in and make it easier to emotionally connect with the music. The Perspectives also pull you in. But they don’t stop there. They yank you by the collar and make you dive into the music head first. The soundstage is not just wide and deep, it kind of engulfs you.

Speaking of soundstage, it is definitely wider and deeper than SHL5+. No contest here. However, imaging is an interesting comparison. It changed from song to song – on some songs imaging was more precise on SHL5+, and vice versa on some other songs. The SHL5+ has this ‘spotlit’ quality to imaging where each instrument is given its own 15 seconds under the limelight. In fact, this is what drew me to Harbeth in the first place. However, the downside is that sometimes the instruments can sound a little aloof and disconnected from the rest of the music. It’s like ‘hey, look at the right corner of the room, here I am doing my own thing!” In case of JA Perspective2’s, all the instruments still get their own special treatment but they are tightly woven into the overall fabric and present a higher degree of cohesion. I like both styles, but I find that I’m beginning to prefer the JA’s presentation a bit more.

JA’s are also more transparent – I can hear much deeper into the music. In terms of detail retrieval, both speakers are equally good. You hear the same level of detail in both. However, the Perspectives add a level of realism that is one step ahead of SHL5+. For example, in some live recordings I always used to hear people speaking in the audience or a band member whispering something in the background. With the Perspectives, the difference is that I feel that I’m sitting in the audience and someone is saying something from behind me. Kinda spooked me the first time I experienced it. This increases the ‘you are there’ perception a lot more than any other speaker I’ve heard. They seem to convey the ambience of the recording space a lot better. So, while the SHL5+ brings the musicians in your room, the Perspectives take you to the venue better than any speaker I’ve owned.

Now, one area where I thought the SHL5+ would win by a strong margin was vocals. But I was surprised that the Perspectives were just as good, if not better, than the Harbeths. With SHL5+, the vocals are a bit fuller, male voices have more ‘upper chest’, and they sound a bit more forward – as in, the singer is standing a few feet in front of the rest of the musicians. The Perspectives on the other hand have a more ‘unamplified’ feel to the vocals, as if the artist is sitting in your room and singing without a microphone, but not any closer to you than the rest of the musicians. Honestly, despite the differences, I’m having a hard time figuring out which style of presentation I prefer when it comes to vocals. Let’s call it a tie. Okay, okay, if you were to put a gun to my temple I would pick SHL5+, but only by a very slim margin.

What about bass? Umm... no contest here. The Perspectives produce an amazing amount of tight, tuneful, and nuanced bass. I found myself listening without my subs (pair of REL 510s) almost 70% of the time. And honestly, I don’t miss the subs on most songs. Yes, there are a few songs where the added punch is welcome, but in most cases, not only do I not miss the subwoofers, I kinda prefer it this way. Kick drums, especially, have a level of impact and realism that just takes your breath away. Keep in mind that I’m only driving the speakers with 50 watts of class A amplification (Audio Hungary Qualiton a50i), so I have no doubt that a more powerful amp will most likely take it several levels above what I’m experiencing now. But I will say that the Qualiton is a beauty! I just love the sound this amp makes. I might look into getting something more powerful next year, but I’m more than satisfied with what I’m hearing for the time being.

So, what about tonality, timber, etc.? I’ve gone back and forth between both speakers and I have to say that it’s a tie. I do prefer the sound of guitars and piano on the Perspectives. They just sound so right – almost like the real thing. For horns, a slight nod goes to SHL5+. They seem to have more presence and extend a bit further than the Perspectives.

Overall, the Perspectives sound bigger, much bigger in fact, than the Harbeths. They have a heft and gravitas that is simply a step above the SHL5+. When the music calls for it, they can be equally delicate and subtle. But, boy do they swell and get big on you in a hurry when the music demands. This is especially noticeable for classical music. It is quite a hair-raising experience, and you can’t help but exclaim ‘wow!’ when the music builds up and it goes from zero to sixty in no time. It’s hard to believe how a not-so-big speaker can make this kind of impact. So in the end, the JA Perspective2 Graphene have exceeded my expectations, and I’m very happy with the decision. They very well might be endgame speakers for me (note: when I say endgame, I really mean a ‘long time’ :)). Hope you guys found the review useful.